The Divergent Games XVII: Deaths And Gifts

Erela and I take a few steps back, and he takes a few steps forward. I killed an Erudite. Erela killed an Amity. Astrid killed a Candor on her own, and finished off an Abnegation for Nicanor. Nicanor killed another Abnegation, which means there was only one other tribute from that faction that died the first day. And I remember watching- watching as the boy I'm looking at now mercilessly took his sword and stabbed the kid to death, then slitting his throat for good measure.

     "I remember riding the chariots with you two." he grinned and shrugged. "But there can only be two victors. And I plan on being one of them- even if that means betraying my own faction." Erela and I launched into action. I grabbed both our packs while she held up her spear, the boy's sword now embedded in it. The blade would have been in her head if she hadn't acted quickly. 

     I slung my own backpack over my shoulder and held Erela's smaller one in my left hand. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it might burst out of my chest. "Come on!" I yelled, and Erela managed to break away from the boy. We ran side by side through the jungle, the boy thundering after us. Fortunately, the two of us were used to terrain like this. But this guy was also Dauntless, meaning there was little chance he would screw up.

     "Take this," I heard her say. I glanced over at her, and she was breathing hard, pumping her arms while holding out her Amity token. I stared at her.

     "No, Erela." she was going to go fight that guy. Fight that guy for me. I couldn't let her do that. I understand that when you're Dauntless, you're supposed to be brave. But I don't know how well her odds are against that guy. I won't lose another ally. 

     "Renee, please! We don't have time to argue. I'll lead him away. Just keep running. I'll be alright." I look at her as we run. Why was she willing to risk her life for me, but I didn't even think to do so? The boy behind us was gaining- I could hear it. 

     "Fine." I take the Amity token from her and shove it in my pocket, but catch her wrist before she can leave.

     "What?" she urgently demands, and I pull the canteen and watch from her pack.

     "Take them. Just... Please. If you make it, I want you to have a better chance at surviving on you own." I shove the items at her, and she barely catches them before we both storm away from one another. When I glance back at the direction she went, I can see the Dauntless boy hot on her heels. I turn away and keep running.

          .          .          .          .          .          .          .          .          .          .

     I stop at a jungle tree to catch my breath, leaning over, planting my hands on my knees. I was never good at long distance running. I'm surprised with myself that I could even sprint like that for as long as I did, but the fact that it was mostly adrenaline takes the shock away.

     I fall to my knees and almost choke from breathing too hard. The Gamemakers have me where they want me now- all alone. I'm sure they wouldn't mind killing my allies along with me, but I try not to think too much on it. At least now, when they kill me, Erela and Cameron will have a chance at winning.

     And that's speaking as though Erela will make it out of her current predicament. 

     I hang my head and clutch my chest. Erela is going to die. Blake is probably already dead. Dalia may have been tortured or killed because the Officials most likely thought she was in on him coming into the launch room before the Games. And what about my mom? What about Tyson? Kelli?

     A canon makes me jolt up, my eyes wide and my lips parted. My breathing is quieter now. I glance back and forth between the trees, birds flying away through the air. I won't find out who died until the next night. But I already know it was Erela.