Unexpected Visitor

I was perched on top of Pano Aka again, slowly following Hunter's instructions. I kept hearing him say things like, "No, quit clutching his mane like that!" and, "You'll fall off if you don't keep balance!"

Hunter put his hand on my hip, steadying me on top of the horse. "Move into the most comfortable position, ok? That way you stay balanced. I'm not letting go until you're situated- the last thing we need is for you to break something."

I finally got comfortable. "Ok, fine, I'm ready. But, are you sure about no saddle-"

"No good rider learns on a saddle," He replied, grinning. Pano Aka shifted his feet impatiently.

"Yeah, but now I'm rethinking this. I mean-"

Hunter glanced at me in an impatient manner, just like Pano Aka was doing. I sighed. "Skylar, it took me ten minutes to get you comfortable on that horse. And now you want off?" Hunter asked irritably. My cheeks turned slightly pink.

"I'm sorry... Just, really, I mean.... Well, actually..."

Hunter raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to make up my mind. "Fine. I'll stay," I murmured to him.

He shrugged. "Eh, we can go back to the ranch house if you want. I mean, we have had enough adventure today, if you ask me..." He smirked, raising his eyebrows in that... that way.

I turned even redder, remembering our kiss. kisses. whatever.

"Um... maybe that's a good idea," I said quickly, blushing.

Hunter climbed on behind me. "Don't do anything," He said, putting his arms around me to guide the horse. "I'll do everything, since... you fell..." He trailed off, and we both knew what happened after I fell.

Hunter got the horse into a sprint, and we were off to the ranch house.

"Hunter, I don't think my grandfather should see us running up to the house on Pano Aka," I confessed. "I didn't ask permission... And... and I took him out of the fence, and he's wild, still- untamed, and-"

I could feel him shrug against my back. "He would find out at some point, anyway. And, at least I'm the one guiding the horse, since I'm experienced. No offense, but he might be angrier if you were the one guiding..."

I bit my tongue to keep myself from yelling back, that riding horses might be the ONLY thing he's good at. That, and kissing girls when they've said stop.

The world went by in a colorful blur as we rode closer and closer. I was out of breath without even moving. I had completely forgotten what amazing creatures horses were....Graceful, sweet and fast. Pano Aka Arrived at the ranch house, not even breathing heavily.

I started to climb off, but the sight made me stop breathing. Grandpa Akamai stood out on the porch of the ranch house, talking to two men, one all-too familiar. I gasped, trying to climb off steadily. Hunter grabbed my arm. "Let me," He said sternly. "You're about to fall." With that, he gracefully jumped down, then carefully helped me down as well.

I pointed, forcing out my words. "M-Mark. Talking to Grandfather. Hunter, he was the one on the plane- the one who burned your barn down!"