Chapter 2

2.

The lunch bell rings, Jamie and I head to our lockers to grab our food.

"What did you make for lunch?" Jamie makes conversation lightly while wiping his glasses on his shirt. My stomach grumbled at the idea of the leftovers awaiting me, "My dad made caponata last night and I'm starved." Jamie nodded his head in approval as we reached our lockers.

"I've got some chips and Mr.Noodles." He grins as if that's appetizing and I shake my head, "You need to start eating food with more nutrients, I'm surprised you have energy." I mutter, opening up my locker, Jamie shrugs me off.

As much as I love to eat, I do not like to eat at school, the cafeteria is the worst place to be if you're an outcast like Jamie and I, so we tend to avoid it all together and eat outside when its a nice day like it is today.

"Come on Rebecca, we've only got a half hour and we're not even at the tree yet." Jamie whines, his face adorning a pronounced pout for dramatic flair. "I'm coming, I'm coming." I shut my locker swiftly, and we make out way out into the courtyard. 

As we leave the buildings side door, the oh so familiar smell of cigarettes filled my nostrils, and my nose scrunched upward in disgust. As per usual, Colton sat adjacent to his friends, chain smoking and skipping class like always. His on and off girlfriend, Connie, stood underneath his arm, her hair pinned and adorning curls around her face, her makeup sharp and her death glare prominent as she said something smart witted to his chubby friend Liam in an angry retort. 

Colton cocks a smile in my direction, getting the others to look over at the two of us. 

"Aw, off to your lunch date? What a cute clique you two are." Colton sneered in jest, his smile wicked and taunting as his friends laughed mockingly. Jamie lets out a deep sigh, and we ignore him, hurrying ourselves towards our lunch spot.

"They're such pricks, I'm kind of annoyed that we have to do a project with him for a month." Jamie mutters as we make it to our spot, the large oak tree at the border of school grounds was beautiful, and huge, providing a lovely amount of shade beneath it. I shrug my shoulders in response and sit myself on the cracked dirt. "Its only a month and he hardly shows up to class anyway and when he does, he leaves a half hour in." Jamies expression of irritation didn't escape him as he opened up his uncooked Mr.Noodles packet, he added the flavour and shook the bag aggressively. "It's really not a big deal Jamie." I tsk, the corners of my mouth becoming downturned before opening my container of food. We ate in silence.

Jamie and I headed to our separate classes, saying an awkward goodbye before we did. I didn't see him for the rest of the day.

*

I arrived to my home, an older brick duplex situated a short walk from my school, I unlock the door to be greeted by my seven year old airedale terrier, Arnie. His stubby tail making his whole body wiggle in excitement as he jumps at my knees. I give him all the scratches and kisses he so desires before making my way into the living room, Arnie hot on my heels.

My sister Katie was painting her toenails on the couch, her eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she was hunched over to get a closer look at the bright red she was painting with. "Hey Katie." I announce myself, causing her to jump slightly and paint red on her skin. "Damnit Becca!" She looked upward at me in anger, her blond hair pulled up in a half done bun, her curtain bangs hanging forward in her face. "Can you not? You're so quiet I didn't even hear you come in." I roll my eyes at her dramatics, and look at her with a pointed expression, "How did you not hear the dog? Are you deaf?" Katie closes her nail polish and gazes down at Arnie who's sitting politely to my left. "It's not like he barks, don't be a brat." She collects her nail products and walks past me in a huff, making me shake my head in amusement.

Katie is my older sister, and my only sibling. She's two years older than I am, and has yet to go to any post secondary education, as she says she "needs a break to discover herself." Yet, all she's been doing is working at a smoothie place at the mall, and going out often with her friends, and boys occasionally.  

I make my way into the kitchen, picking up an apple from the counter top, I sit myself on the kitchenette bar, my backpack laying on top of it as I pull out my homework. I sit there for the next few hours, making sure its complete before my parents get home.

*

My dad and mom arrive home and announce themselves with their loud voices of conversation. "Make sure you call your brother today regarding his knee surgery, he would love to hear from yo- Oh, hi Rebecca baby." My mom promptly placed a kiss on top of my head, "Hows my little superstar?" My dad gave me a brief smile as he placed grocery bags down on the counter top. 

"I'm alright, we got a new assignment in social communications." I get up from my seat and toss the apple core into the garbage can. "Oh yeah? You and Jamie choose a fun topic?" I smile tightly, as I grab my bag from the table top. "Yeah we're doing it on cliques and drama, there was a lot of topics to choose from." 

"That could be interesting!" My mom nodded approvingly, as she helped my dad put away the groceries.

 "You know that boy has a crush on you, you guys spend an awful amount of time together." My dad raised his eyebrows at me teasingly, "We're just friends, dad." He scoffed with a laugh, putting his arm around my moms waist, he gave her a squeeze, "We were just friends once." He winks at me, putting the reusable grocery bags away and I groan in annoyance. My dad always likes to bug me about Jamie. 

"I'm going away now, you're making me sick." I stick my tongue out, making a screwed up expression of disgust "Alright, we're getting pizza tonight so I'll call you down when its here!" My mom shouted as I made my way upstairs. My bedroom was last painted when I was seven years old, so a bright shade of teal covered my walls, and the furniture matched, from the carpet to the curtains. It was painful, really.

I had no new books to get indulged in, making me a tad annoyed, I'll have to go to the bookstore this weekend with Jamie. I pick up my go to favourite, a romance book written in 1847, Wuthering Heights. I really had a sweet spot for the classics, I found myself getting lost in it for the rest of the night.

______

Please vote and comment what you think! Thanks!