Chapter 6: Faithful

Chapter 6: Faithful

When he opened the door to his apartment it was instantly shut again after I walked through it. He pushed me against it, making me wince. Were these kinds of gestures supposed to be forceful? I looked into his eyes to find his own studying my body. "France, I-"

He put a finger over my lips, stopping me from talking. "I have waited much too long for this. Don't spoil it."

I shook my head, my shaggy hair seeming to bounce as tears filled the back of my eyes. I was scared. I had never gotten this close to anybody before and he didn't seem like the France I always knew. "But I'm scared." I put my hand over my mouth, covering the quiver in my lip.

This seemed to trigger something in his brain and he stopped, his hands returning to his sides. He turned his head to the side. "I'm sorry, Canada. I just... I wanted to-" He looked at the floor, out of words. He was speechless?

I reached out a hand. "But that doesn't mean you can't- That you can't touch me." I looked at the floor also.

He smiled as he took my hand, pulling me into an embrace. "You are brave; you must've got it from your brother."

Again, I shook my head. He had it all wrong. "I got it from you, at least the way you used to be."

He chuckled, sending shivers up my spine as I felt his chest move under my hand. "I used to be strong. I guess you saw my good side."

I looked at him, my eyes wavering. "You always have a good side; you just don't like to show it to anybody, at least to anybody but me..." I looked down, filled with doubt. What did he have to prove to me?

He lifted my chin up to face him. "You're the only one who's allowed to see it. I owe you that."

I blushed. "But I didn't do anything."

He smiled; his hand now on my cheek. "That's not true. You made me feel the love I've always preached about. You turned me on." He winked and I dropped my head again, face ablaze.

This time he laughed a laugh that made my heart stutter. "But it's not fair to lie to everyone like that..."

He seemed to see right through me. "And it's not fair to doubt me. I show this side to you because I love you, I don't love all of them."

I shook, hands clenching my shirt sleeves. "But that's-"

He kissed the top of my forehead. Even his little gestures made me happy inside. I wanted more, but I was afraid. "No more buts. Be selfish for once in your life, Canada."

I nodded, smiling sheepishly. "J-just for you."

He held me close. He was gentle now, his embrace like he was holding a doll. "I'm happy."

I nodded again, I was happy too. "But I owe you something too."