7. If looks could kill

If looks could kill, my sandwich would have been toast. . . literally. I made no attempt to make eye contact with Lockwood, and he stayed silent as he finished his wholemeal baguette, no doubt made with love by Holly. My scowl must have been apparent as Lockwood started to try and apologise.

"Lucy, I am sorry, I truly am," Lockwood offered, but I just stood and walked to the door. Lockwood darted in front of me and shut the door before I could leave, barricading it with his body. "Lucy, listen please," he pleaded.

"Open the door Lockwood."

"No. Listen to me, and then you can leave."

"Why should I listen to you, when everything that leaves your mouth is a lie?" Lockwood looks taken aback by my outburst, but I'm on a roll.

"You keep secrets! You don't trust us! You didn't even tell us about your sister's room until a few weeks ago!"

"I have my reasons, you know I have!"

"Why did you lie?" I ask, anger gone and sorrow left as a replacement. "Why did you act like you cared? Also, I'm just too emotional? That's what you think of me?"

"I didn't lie to you, Lucy, and I didn't mean it!"

"Yeah, and I can't see past my own nose. I'm sick of being treated like an outcast compared to Holly. It's Holly this, and Holly that, oh, It's ok Holly, no harm done. You have never stood up for me that way. If I did something wrong, you would be lecturing me by now. I bet the only reason you have been so nice to me today was because of my new outfit. Figure out how you really feel, because I can't take any more of this."

My shout fest over, I pushed past Lockwood and went to help George and Holly pack, leaving him standing there in the kitchen, my heart breaking even more than I thought possible.