harsh eyes

"Be careful Luce," I warned, and her scowl deepened, cementing onto her beautiful face. Her brown eyes glint in the moonlight as she listened for the visitor. The malaise was thick and cold, and I suppressed a laugh as I thought of guacamole. I helped Lucy set the chain circle around us, and wondered why the visitor hadn't appeared yet. This was where the screams had come from, this was where the coldest part of the house was, this was near to where Warren had thought the visitor was, and this was where the thickest malaise felt. So why was there no sight? I couldn't see a thing. I moved out of the circle to search again and Lucy closed her eyes and listened. "I hear. . . crying. Something about. . . a. . . a. . ." her eyes shot open. 
 "Lockwood. Get in the circle. Now." Fear shone in her eyes.

"What do you-"

"NOW!" She reached out and pulled me in, and I felt a cold chill spread through my jacket. Close. Too close.

"It wanted you, Lockwood. It's a type. . . type. . t-t- three." It dawned on me now. The serenity and quiet in here. . . it had been a trap. This thing was dangerous. I pulled out my rapier and glanced at Lucy. That quiet determination that I loved had set upon her face, and she nodded. She knew where to look.

"Lockwood, I know where the source is. Cover me." I did. She leapt out of the circle and I saw the black shape swirl towards her. I slashed my rapier in a furious pattern, and the visitor retreated, but not for long. It rushed me, talon-like protrusions reaching out for me. I threw a salt bomb, and again it retreated, and a screeching filled the air as the visitor smoked. A clink of metal sounded and the malaise in the air lifted, the visitor disappeared and Lucy came back holding a box covered in a silver chain. She was grinning.

"I heard him." The grin on her face disappeared. "He died of Asphyxiation, choked by his wife. It was horrible." She handed me the box. "This, will earn a day in court for the wife of Alastair McAdam." She turned on her heel and walked to the door, all willingness to work with me gone the instant her life was out of danger.