The Only Chapter You Need

It was Halloween night. Of course, a cheesy day to do something that was rumored to haunt or even kill you. We were born doofuses so we played in Alex's attic. He was the only one who had an attic really.

Alex's house was in one of those neighborhoods where it was basically empty. No one here gave out candy except for the occasional 1 or 2 houses. Everyone on the street would leave to go to the more popular and famed neighborhood that was about 20 minutes away.

All 4 of us, Alex, me, Thomas, and Chris, arrived to his house one by one. By the time Thomas got here, it was 11:34 pm. We all ran to the attic with a shoe box, string, pencil, piece of paper, and paper cup. We all sat down in a circle, assembling the "enchantment." We didn't think about what we were going to do. We thought it was just like the old rumors created on social media. Little did we know of the dangers that came with this.....challenge.

We created our little set-up which I dare not describe to you for obvious reasons. We wrote down our message to my late grandmother and placed it into the shoebox and waited 'til 3 am. We expected nothing to happen and right when we were about to give up, the cup "rang" just like an old dial phone. We all looked at each other with shock and nervousness.

Chris finally picked it up and broke the first rule. "Hello?" he said. We eyed him with worry in our eyes like we were saying "The number 1 rule is to not speak." He realized his mistake and listened again with no emotion. He put it back down and cut the string. He said, "I didn't hear a thing. Just...static."

The floor shook the empty attic, causing us to grip the ground. It stopped all so suddenly. We instinctively ran down the ladder and the stairs to the bottom floor of the house to leave. The front door was locked, so we checked all the windows and other doors. They wouldn't even budge.

A girl emerged from the kitchen. We were in the living room.

I saw her tap Thomas' shoulder. As he turned around, she made a horrifying scream and Thomas was gone, passed out on the floor, maybe even dead. She headed towards Chris, who was attempting to run but failed and he, too, dropped dead onto the floor.

Alex and I got the memo and tried to break all the windows and doors, but they wouldn't shatter. I ran with him. Through the hallways, down the stairs, looking for a way out of the house. Everyone else who played was gone. We didn't say it for we wanted to have hope. But we both knew...it was our last day.

We looked for weapons. I found an umbrella, pathetic I know, and Alex ran to the kitchen probably looking for a knife. I heard him scream. I was the only one left.

I stood, my back against the front door knowing I was destined to lose. The girl was right in front of me. I hit her countless times with the only "protection" I had. She stood there with no pain. Before I knew it, I fell to the floor. But, I could still see with my eyes wide open.

The girl was gone. It was silent. Before I knew it, I saw things happen in flashes. Cops. Then crowds. Then nothing.

Fast forwarding to now. I don't know how I ended up here.

I feel around me and notice I'm on top of cushions in a tight and pitch black atmosphere. I reach up and it's hard wood. I attempted to spread my body out but was stopped by more wood after moving just 1 foot.

I realized I'm in my deathbed...alive...but I remembered I died...what?  

The End

The point of this is to lead your imagination on and have your brain just make up a series of events that could have happened. I hope you enjoyed this short story. Spread the word, vote, and comment!

-iijoeysinghii