Half Smiles and Long Sleeves

There is a boy who catches my bus who acts happy every morning from 7 am.

___________________________________________

May has quickly approached, and the year is coming to an end.

The sun poured through the door as five boys stepped in, laughter from all but the last.

The tall, green-eyed brunette, was slightly chuckling. I knew the laugh was not actually real, I always knew. His eyes never shined as bright anymore, and although he would tell his friends he was fine, I understood well that he was not. 

He was the last to approach his seat. I took a second to mark a check on my notebook cover; each mark meant another day that he wore a long sleeved shirt. No matter if it were the middle of the summer or not.

When I glanced back up, his eyes were already on me. "Hi," he mouthed softly, trying to go unnoticed by his mates.

I beamed warmly. My heart thumped against my chest harder now than ever. I cherished this moment, as a small step in the almost non-existent relationship we had.

When he took his seat, his friends already began a new conversation.

They never included him anymore, they stopped trying to weeks ago.

Some days I would find him glancing back at me with a strange look in his eyes. I wanted to speak to him, but my mouth ran dry as soon as I opened it.

I wanted to tell him.

___________________________________________

I think he is beautiful.