~Prologue~

****

~Age five~

"Mommy? What's love?" A little girl questioned. The blonde woman smiled down at the back of Petra's head, brushing through her white hair, her pointed elf-like ears protruding from beneath her hair.

"Love? Where did you hear this, my dear?" The woman laughed heartedly, stopping to hug her daughter, earning a giggle from Petra.

"Rita read it in a book once, but she said it was a silly book." Petra giggled, her tiny fangs visible, and turned around on the bed to face her mother, only to be greeted with a smile, a smile from an undead woman.

"Oh Rita, she's only being silly herself, being a year older than you, my dear." She smiled and held Petra's hands. Her hands were cold.

"Love my child is a magical thing. It's the finest wonderful feeling in the world. It's like air; you want it, you need it, you yearn for it" She smiled dreamily, staring lovingly at the smilingly Petra, suddenly interrupted by the door creaking open to reveal a strong yet thin Asian looking man.

"And once you get a taste of that sweet moment, you'll never want it to leave." The man finished for her, also looking dreamingly at Petra's mother.

"Daddy!" Petra squealed happily and tackled him in a hug as she brought him down onto the bed next to her mother, who laughed at her husband's silliness as he pretended to be overwhelmed with Petra's playfulness.

"Love, my dear, comes in many different ways, and you'll find it someday, just when you're older." Her mother replied, their laughter dying down to breaths of exhaustion and drowsiness, being it was late at night.

"Mommy, when will I find love?" She questioned innocently and confused.

"When you grow up, to be big and strong. They'll come to you, don't worry, my love."

"But how will I know?" She questioned curiously.

"Think of it this way, my dear. You'll know when you feel butterflies in your tummy. Or when your heart races and pulses with incredible energy.

"Did you put Rita to sleep?" Her mother questioned.

"All nice and snug in her new princess comforter." He inquired, leaning forward to kiss his wife, both reveling in each other's love and comforting arms.

"Eww, mommy, daddy!" Petra moaned childishly and covered her innocent, filled eyes with her tiny, nimble hands. Her parents laughed at her and ruffled their daughter's white locks, both kissing each side of her cheeks. You see, unlike her parents, Petra was born with snow-white hair, not at all like her mothers' platinum blonde hair. The only thing she had that didn't belong to any part of her parent's features was the unmistakable electric pink eyes. She held no oriental genes as her father. Only her older sister had such things said.

"Mommy, can you sing me that song again!" Petra pleaded and whined cutely, her puppy dog eyes gleaming unbearably.

"Petra, I already sang it twice!" Her mother laughed and cracked a soft smile at the girl's disappointed face.

"Ok, just one more time." She replied, giving in to her daughter's wishes, and pulled Petra to her lap. There, she held her gently.

"Twinkle twinkle, little star,

How I wonder what you are.

Up above the world so high,

Like a diamond in the sky,

Twinkle twinkle little star, How I wonder what you are." She finished softly. Petra smiled and giggled in satisfaction, clapping her hands in appreciation.