Introduction

Toni: Ma! I can't find my books! They were on the dining table last night.

Traci: Check the bookshelf!

Tamar: I can't find my favorite socks!

Evelyn: They're folded in your top drawer.

Everyone in the Braxton household was getting ready for school. Toni had a lecture she had to attend at her university, Bowie, in an hour and still wasn't ready.

Towanda: Trina you're going to miss the bus if you don't get out of this bathroom.

Trina: I'm almost done Wanda! Five more minutes.

Towanda: No! You've been in there for the past twenty minutes getting ready.

Mikey: Why won't you use mommy's bathroom?

Towanda: All my hair products are in there with Trina.

Trina came out the bathroom and ignored them.

Toni: Bye you guys! Ma, I'll be coming home late tonight. I have to study at the library for my astronomy class.

Evelyn: Okay baby, just call me when you're on your way back home.

Toni: I will. Tell daddy.

Toni dropped her books in her car and sped away to Bowie University. She had a gig tonight at a club across town.

In class...

The professor was teaching and Toni was humming a random tune. She had the urge to right a new song. She was so busy trying to write a new song that she didn't realize that the Professor was calling her name.

Professor Wilson: Ms. Toni Braxton?

Toni (smiling): Yes professor.

Professor Wilson: I'm going to assume that you were paying attention. So what is your response?

Toni: Response to-

Professor Wilson: Malcolm X in "Learning to Read"

Toni: Although this short story is supposed to be encouraging, it is kind up belittling the reader.

Professor Wilson: Care to elaborate?

Toni: Well Malcolm X is in prison for breaking the law, but ends up teaching himself how read, write, and understand the American language, English. He questions how prisoners can be provided all this great literature, but those who are free, cannot obtain it. It's as if a person has to be confined and be by themselves to appreciate and understand what they are and aren't being taught by man. He's saying I'm in prison for a crime, but I may leave more educated than you that's in school.

Professor Wilson: Exactly. Class this is how you should be depicting the story. Nice job Toni.

Toni (smiling): Thank you.

The lecture continued and Toni couldn't wait to perform at her gig tonight. She would be singing her own cover of an Anita Baker song. She had her outfit planned and tucked away in the truck of her car. Hopefully this could be her big break into the music industry. Tonight was the night.

Roxxy's Club...

Toni was walking backstage and ready to hit the stage in about five minutes. Although she had large butterflies swarming around in her stomach, she was ready to give this live song her all. The club was packed because there was a surprised guest.

Roger: You're up next Toni.

Toni (smiling): Thanks.

Roger went on the stage and began to introduce Toni.