Ninja of Home

LIZ'S P.O.V.

The others insist on staying on Kini for a while longer. They say they want to know more about my home. There's really nothing special. It is actually quite dull. The only colors are shades of white and shades of black. We walk through town, and I feel the eyes of hatred and disgust burning into me. The others see it too.

"Why is everyone looking at you as an enemy?" Cole asks.

"Because they do not trust me," I say. "They fear what they do not understand."

The girl who pushed me into the pond approaches me.

"Humans are not welcome here," she says.

I respond, saying, "Then only my family and Kana's can be on this planet."

The girl huffs and leaves.

"What does that mean? Why only your family? Lloyd asks.

"My family shares the blood of an ancient dragon race that once inhabited this planet. When the humans came so long ago, they wiped out the race and anyone that had the same blood. My family, as well as Kana's, is the last of the bloodline. Everyone else here descended from mere humans."

"So is that why they don't trust you?" Kai asks.

I nod my head. "Yes."

I insist that we go back to my house, so that they can go home, so we head back my house, back to the pond, back to knowing I'm not like them. I'm not human. Not normal.

"Hey, are you okay?" Zane asks. "You seem a little distant."

"Yes, I'm fine. Besides, is that not how you always are?"

Zane smiles and the others laugh a little. As long as I can keep them distracted from me, I'm fine with anything.

"So," Jay says, "how do we get home?"

"I can send you back. Just hold still," I say.

"Wait, aren't you coming with us?" Cole asks.

"I cannot. This is my home."

"This is where you live. It's not the same as your home," Nya says.

"I grew up here, fought here, trained here. My family...used to be here." I sigh. I keep forgetting. "My point is that this is as close to home as I'll get. I promise I'll come and visit you once in a while."

"Just so long as you don't kill us," Kai says somewhat jokingly.

"Kai..." Zane tries to stand up for me, but I shake my head.

"It's fine. I'll be here. You all should leave for your home now. It is where we each belong," I say.

"To keep the balance of our worlds, this is how it should be," Sensei Wu says. "I am sure we will see you again."

"Only if your planet is in danger."

"Or if I feel like tasting mortal blood."

I push Darkness to the edge of my mind, but I know they see the change in me.

KAI'S P.O.V.

I see Liz's eyes change to a dark color. I tense up at first, afraid that she might try to kill us. Then I see her frown and her eyes change back.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I ask.

She looks at me with uncertainty. "Yes," I'm fine," she says. "Just a little tired. You all should go home now. There are people that that need you on your world."

Liz raises her hands and mumbles strange words under her breath. Soon we start to glow and her world starts to fade away. I hear her say "goodbye" before I see our world again. We stop glowing and look around.

"So that's it?" Jay says. "After all that, and we never see her again?"

"It's for the best," Cole says.

"We're in different worlds," Nya says.

Zane looks distant. I mean, he's always distant, but this seems different.

"Hey Zane, what's wrong?" I ask.

He looks up at me. "I just miss her. I know what happened, but I still miss her."

"It's okay," Cole says. "I'm sure you'll find another girl.

"Not like her," Zane says. "She's special, different. She's one of a kind."

"Every girl is special," Nya says. "Take it from me."

"Have no fear," Sensei says. "She will return in time. Maybe a long time, but in time."

We look up at the sky. It feels too quiet without her. Like she should be right beside us. But she's not. Not for a while. A long while.