Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Mia turned to leave, tears threatening to escape. She had to calm down, wait just a few more minutes and then she could cry to her hearts content. She knew this was how it was meant to be, how it was meant to end. Someone like her wasn’t meant to be with someone like him. He was good-looking, kind, smart. He was everything she was not.

“I’m sorry,” she cried, grabbing the door handle.

“Wait, Mia!”

His voice was like music to her ears. She felt his hand touch her back through her thin t-shirt. It was made from a flimsy material, something she now regretted wearing as she shuddered in pleasure under his touch.

“I can’t,” she started, “I don’t deserve you, nor you I.”

She pushed his hand away, the warmth from his fingers disappearing. She didn’t miss the pained look in his eye though.

“I’m leaving for New York tomorrow,” she said, “and I never want to see you again!”

With that she whipped the door opened and ran out into the hallway. It was like a maze but she finally found the lift that would take her out this damn place and away from here. She’d only been here five minutes but it brought her so much bad memories.

“Wait… Mia! Come back!”

He wasn’t giving up was he? How could she get rid of him? He would follow her to the end of the Earth and she knew that. But then he said something that would break her resolve forever…

“I love you!”

She froze.

“Wha-”

“I love you Mia,” he interrupted her, “I love you…”

He walked up to her grabbing her arms and pulling her to his chest.

“I can’t stop loving you,” he whispered, pressing his forehead against hers and looking her in the eyes. Watching and waiting for her reaction.

There wasn’t any. Instead he leant forward, his eyes dropping to her lips. He knew that she had noticed when she licked her rosy, delicate lips. How did they feel? He wanted to know so badly. When she didn’t protest, he finally closed the distance between their lips and kissed her. He kissed her with such passion that she almost couldn’t breath. It was the best kiss she had ever experienced, even though it was her first. But she knew she’d lock it away in her memories forever. He lifted his hand to her che-

“Nicky! Are you even listening to me?” My older sister Sadie demanded. Looking away from the computer screen, I glanced up at her.

“Uh…”

“You weren’t, were you?” She lifted her brows, shooting me a disappointed look before returning to her painted nails.

“Of course I was,” I gasped, faking shock at the accusation. In total honesty… I wasn’t. I was too busy writing up the latest chapter to my unpublished novel, “Mia’s kiss”. I had only just started the book but I was well under way of finishing it, which my publisher Louise was super happy about. But then Sadie decided to come over and talk and talk and… You get the idea. I’m sure. Once Sadie starts she never stops.

“Oh really?” She asked. “What did I say then?” Glaring at me for the umpteenth time and turning to a curling iron placed on my kitchen floor (no idea why she was on the floor, especially in the kitchen). She pressed a lock of hair against the burning hot metal and I watched, mesmerised, as she pulled it back out, the whole strand of hair curly and bouncy. 

At times like this I always wondered how I was related to her. While I was the shy, quiet, read-a-book at home type, Sadie was loud, glamorous and a total fashionista. I always wanted to be like her when I was younger, until that one time, which I’m not going to be going into detail about. Let’s just say what happened in Vegas- stays in Vegas (although this has nothing to do with Vegas).

“Hm, I’m not entirely sure, but I think it went along the lines of how amazing you think I am,” I grinned at her innocently.

“Wrong. I would never say that about you,” she said, smirking, watching me jut out my lower lip and pout.

“Anyway, as I was saying, Greg’s having a birthday party today and I was wondering if you could come along with m-”

“NO!” I quickly yelled.

Nu-uh. I was not going to go through this again. Let me fill you in. Greg was Sadie’s on-again-off-again boyfriend. I know, how horribly cliché. Seriously I should write a book about their relationship. I wonder if it would be a best seller?

Ok. Steering slightly off topic, but last time I went out with the two of them, I was stuck in a corner of a mingy, dark club as they grinded up against each other making the most awkward noises known to mankind. I know, I’m a bit exaggerative but they should keep things like that behind closed doors. They nearly robbed me of my innocence.

“Why so quick to deny, sister?” She mimicked a hippy. I looked away from her sighing. She returned to bugging me.

“Please. Please. Ple-e-ase?” She stressed out the last syllable and copied the pout I had pulled on her only minutes before.

“Why me?” I asked, “don’t you have any friends?”

“I do, but I want my amazing little sister to come with me,” she replied.

“I thought you said you’d never call that?”

“Anything to get you to come with me,” she said.

“But I don’t want to,” I whined, jumping out of my seat and walking over to the fridge. I grabbed a carton of orange juice and busied myself with pouring it into a red mug.

“Come on, please. It isn’t like last time when we went out.”

She was referring to the time when I had met up with her at the shopping centre outside her workplace. Sadie worked as a receptionist at the local beauty parlour on the high street. During the Boxing Day sales she just called me up and begged me to come along. Like the good sister I was I obliged; besides I needed some new bottoms and my pop tarts had just run out. When we arrived to the east side of the mall, some guy kept eyeing her up and following us around. It was very creepy. Instead of just carrying on the way we were, Sadie turned around and kicked him in the balls. Turned out he was just one of her friend’s from back in college. They were ahead of me talking and smiling and I think I even saw her giggle like a schoolgirl at his jokes. For a few seconds I had glanced away and when I turned back around… she had disappeared, her and this mystery friend. I couldn’t find her anywhere, so I was alone in the mall, hungry-as-hell with all the shopping that wasn’t even mine to begin with. Let’s just say I acted like how an angry female dog gets when her pups are in danger.

And just like always, I gave in.

“Fine.”