Like you'll never see me again

ba-boom-ba-boom

The sound of Elena's heartbeat even though so faint made Elijah act immediately now digging into the soil getting to the coffin within seconds ripping the top of the it open and taking Elena out in a swish holding her gently in his arms as she gasped for breath realizing in all that frenzy who was there looking at her with happiness in his eyes-

"Elij-" she muttered fainly.

"Shshsh-" he said picking her up and making his way to the Mikaelson Mystic Fall Mansion.

All the way he listened to her heartbeats that were slowly getting pretty regular making his own heart jump for joy.

In the Mansion, he did everything necessary to accommodate her, making her warm and administrating first aid like a very experienced doctor, which didn't go by unnoticed by Elena, although she was still weak. 

As he helped her drink some water, placing her head gently back on the pillow of the sofa, Elena reached for his hand taking hold of it. He looked her and her look indicated that she now wanted him to sit and stop for a moment. He put the glass aside on the table and sat down next to her on the sofa as she still held his hand. She smiled a little at him acknowledging all his efforts. "I woke up- and  I couldn't get out- it was like in a bad dream - I was dead- but I wasn't dead- no one could hear me-"

"Elena- you- a few days ago you collapsed and there was no sign of life-"

Elena closed her eyes and he immediately jumped up to see if she hadn't taken a bad turn touching her face calling out her name.

"I'm ok-"she said,"just-"

"What?" he looked concerned ready to take her now  to hospital if necessary.

"Maybe some water-" she then said and he passed on the glass over to her. She felt strong enough to sit up and took the glass. When she finished she gave it back to him and made herself comfortable, feeling like she had just recovered miraculously from an attack of flu. 

"I took that Cure- from the fake world" she then said.

"You did. I know." Elijah replied.

"How do you...of course you do- You always know everything." she said not bemused.

"Not everything" Elijah said.

Elena looked down at her hand still holding his and then at him.

Elijah then also looked down at their hands locked together.

If any of them moved or utter another word it felt like this magical bind would break and all of it would disappear and she would be in her dorm room, or at the hospital, or with her friends thinking of him or he would be in another Klaus driven conspiracy, or with Marcel or the wolves from the Bayou or Cami's bar thinking of her.

And then the incisive buzzing of his phone made Elena say, "Answer- it must be important"

Elijah got the phone out of his suit jacket and looked at the display and as took the call. "Niklaus!"

"Canada has never been so welcoming! I have found the spirit witch" Klaus said.

"And?" Elijah said.

"The doppelganger's blood is needed- playful irony," Klaus said,"anyway- I presume you are still at the graveyard?!"

"I will call you back" Elijah said and as he was about to hang up Klaus shot, "I am sorry for your pain"

Elijah didn't say anything to that, just hung up and got up.

"Canada?" Elena tilted her head curiously as she got up. She felt like her old self, like nothing ever happened to her.

"We are on the run, again," Elijah said,"only a powerful witch can kill them"

"Nothing truly immortal can walk the Earth-the witches wouldn't allow it!" Elena said,"Jeremy is their weakness?!"

Elijah nodded. "I am doing everything to protect him-"

Elena now looked at the Original wide-eyed and the all became so very clear to her as she flashed back at their time together in Cleveland.

"Sorry for acting like a lost case," Elena referred to her drunken stupor,"still not good at keeping my enhanced emotions at check- I was do much better with it as a human- the pain and anger just get too much - Bonnie said that I have manic-depressive symptoms- "

"You needn't apologize- I battled with the control for quite some time and even after thousand years it can get the better of me-"

"At least this time I know he is somewhere alive and we can talk over the phone"Elena said gazing into the skies.

"He will be fine" Elijah assured her.

"You kept him safe all this time?" Elena said.

"Yes, Elena." Elijah made a small nod.

"For me?!" she then added.

Elijah now looked at her gulping a bit as his heart jumped up and before he could say anything else she came to him and slipped with teary eyes,"Thank you"

"Please- don't-"

"What?- be nice to you?!" Elena said.

"Yes- I don't -"

"You deserve it." she interrupted him.

"Elena-" he started, but paused. Suddenly all came out as the emotions overrun his every barrier,"I thought I'd lost you forever!!"

And there was the crescendo-  they hugged one another like they haven't seen each other for thousand years.

If I couldn't feel your touch
And no longer were you with me
I'd be wishing you were here
To be everything that I'd be looking for
I don't wanna forget the present is a gift
And I don't wanna take for granted the time you may have here with me
Cause Lord only knows another day is not really guaranteed

So every time you hold me
Hold me like this is the last time
Every time you kiss me
Kiss me like you'll never see me again
Every time you touch me
Touch me like this is the last time
Promise that you'll love me
Love me like you'll never see me again

He now held her face in his hands and looked at her with the same amazement like so many years ago, her humanity, her compassionate streak, her beautiful soul was there granting him leniency.

"You will have to go again" Elena said- 

"Yes,"he slipped,"you know why I can't stay."

"I know- the hunters." Elena muttered in a half voice.

"The hunters- and the witches- I made a deal"

And he wanted to tell her what it was but Elena stopped him. She now kissed him. She just wanted to be with him there and now. Everything else would have to wait. Hunters, witches, deals. This time being together once again was truly a gift. 

  How many really know what love is'
Millions never will
Do you know until you lose it

That it is everything we are looking for