Chapter 3

3

When we get in the house, we are in the kitchen. I hear shuffling going on somewhere else and I assume Danny must be there.

Chris tells me to sit on a granite counter top and give him my hands. The kitchen is new. All of the counters are granite. The cupboards are a dark wooden color and the floor is hardwood. All appliances are stainless steel.

He puts my hands over the sink and pours something on them that stings bad. I grit my teeth and stay perfectly still.

Then he starts delicately wrapping gauze around my hand. He is going way over board with this.

Usually I would just wash my hands to make sure all the things that could cause infection are out, then I just grit my teeth whenever I pick something up.

I don't understand, why is he helping me? Isn't he just probably going to end up hurting me. This is so humiliating having him fuss over me like this.

After both my hands are wrapped, he brings them both to his face and kisses each one. What the heck? "All better," he says.

I don't even know what to say. Why isn't he punishing me for running? This is so confusing.

He is still holding my hands. I look to his face and am trapped in his gaze. His eyes, they are so familiar. Now that I really think about it, everything about him is.

There's a loud pounding noise and then Danny appears in the room. "I got everything set up," he says, "Try keeping her under control man, I'm not even gone ten minutes and she already comes running for help."

"I know. I won't let her out for a while." I hate the way they are talking as if I'm not already here.

"'She' is right here," I say, "and 'She' really wants you to take her back right now," I say.

"Your gonna have fun with her," Danny laughs. Chris grins, "I'm going to go, Ashley has got to be wondering where I am."

"Alright, thanks. Tell Ashley I said hi."

"She hates your guts," Danny laughs again.

"Not as much as she hates yours," Chris retorts. Danny's smile falters and then he leaves, slamming behind him.

Who is Ashley? She must be important to Danny, but then, why would she hate him?

Chris locks the door and then turns to me, "Why am I here?" I ask slowly.

He shrugs then walks out of the room. Seriously?

I quickly go to the door, but quickly see that I need a key. Great, I sigh then follow him wherever he went.

I know, why the heck would I follow him? Answer is, I don't even know why myself. I guess it is because I want answers. He also doesn't really scare me right now. He could hurt me, easily and whenever he wanted to. Maybe he hasn't wanted to yet, I don't know.

I follow him in to a living room with a huge plasma screen tv and a black leather couch and love seat. Every part of this house is expensive.

"Hey! Don't bring me here and walk away from me like that. I want answers!" I'm probably not in the position to yell, but I'm to tired and mad to think.

"You'll know soon enough," he says.

On my... "What kind of answer is that?"

He shrugs, "An answer." He plops down on the couch. "Do you know who I am?" He asks quietly.

I think for a moment. I know I've seen him before, I just can't place his face. But who could forget blue eyes like his? "No."

He sighs, then his eyes light up, "I'll tell you why you are here, if you can remember who I am."

"But I can't," I protest.

All he says is, "think."

"Fine," I grumble, "But you have to give me a hint."

"Think about your brothers, Devan and Evan."

My brothers would never do this, even as a prank so that's out. Maybe Chris knows me through them. Maybe they were roommates or partners for a project. Or they're friends.

Didn't Evan and Devan go for a road trip last year during spring break? Yes they did, and they brought four friends. I remember they stopped over at our house one evening to surprise us.

And in tow was a guy with the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. He looks a little different now though, shorter hair and a bigger build. "Spring break last summer," I whisper.

I look up at him and he is trying not to laugh. My eyes narrow. "You just look so cute when you think real hard."

I roll my eyes, "So am I right?"

"Yep," he says, I look at him expectantly, "You're here to keep me company."

He has me here, all alone, and I'm here to keep him company. All of my courage from earlier dissipates. "Stay away from me." I start backing up away from him.

He raises his eyebrows in confusion. When he understands, he stands up with his hands up and slowly starts walking towards me. "I would never do something like that," he says.

He's still coming, "Don't come a step closer!" I screech desperately.

He rolls his eyes, "Or you'll what?"

I look around and see that I have backed myself up in to a completely bare corner, smooth move. "Ummm I'll..," I look for anything useful. He grabs hold of my arms. "Noooo," I cry.

I start shaking trying to break free of his grasp. "Hey, hey," he soothes, "look at me." Eventually, I look in his eyes.

"Better," he says, "Tell me, do you see any untrustworthiness in my eyes when I say, I would never force you to do anything like that." I see loyal and admiration in his eyes. I also see something else in them, something I can't identify.

I shake my head, "See? You can trust me."

We stand there for a moment. I begin to feel uncomfortable under his gaze, it just feels wrong. "I want to go to bed."

"Ok, I'll take you to the room."