Chapter Two -First Day of Carpool

June walked out of the door, scrunching her nose up as a cool wind hit her face, bag slung over her shoulder.

Taking a deep breath, she opened her eyes and walked towards the next house.

How had Mom talked me into this??? She thought incredulously.

Here she was, walking to the house of the person she hated most in her life.

She only walked to his house when she had revenge to execute.

She had a mental debate in her mind as she walked over to the next house. "Should I go???"

One step forward.

"Should I not???"

One step backward.

This kept on until she knew he'd spotted her. Preparing herself for the worst, she walked into their gate.

Jake raised his head in a way that she was sure he had practiced over and over. Seeing her, he gave a mock gasp in surprise, pretending that something fell from him and grappled to reach for it in front of his car.

What was she doing here???

Okay... He knew. But he hadn't thought she would come.

"What brings you over to mine, bitter neighbour???"

That was what he called her, when he didn't call her the other.

"Our Moms agreed we'd carpool for the rest of senior year but if you're gonna be a jerk about it..."

Her growl always set him off.
Her temper was too short.

"Get your shit calmed Chipmunk, I knew that. I meant why are you really here?" He raised an eyebrow perfectly, his blonde hair falling over the other.

"Well... I need a ride." She couldn't hide her irritated look. He was definitely gonna tease her about it. "Unfortunately" she added.

"Ah... Yes." He said, like he just remembered. "Rough but no ride." He joked.

"I'm not rough." She said defensively.

Something in her was calmer, Jake knew. Before, he wouldn't have teased her halfway and he would be lying on the floor beneath her already.

"Whatever" he said, "Get in."
He saw how reluctant she was to go in. "My car doesn't bite."
He said matter-of-factly.

She threw him a look that said "Duh" all the way. "It's not the car I'm worried about. It's the driver."

Jake was actually a safe driver. Maybe too safe. He drove so cautiously it made her driving look good.

A minute later, Jake asked. "Just what were our Moms hoping to achieve with this death sentence, us killing each other?"

"At least you'd be dead" she muttered, "They're hoping we could bond???" She fakes gagging to show her disgust.

After all that had passed between them that was a no-no. The only bond they were gonna be getting is to tape them away from killing each other.

"I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than do that." He scoffs.

"Glad to see the feeling's mutual Douche."

He was waiting for her to go in the car when she jumped in and slammed the door, "Get in the car and drive me already!"

"Whatever, you-" Jake was cut short when he hit his leg on a metal pole "Ouch! Dammit!"