Part 5: Naming Things Sucks

Monday. Dreaded Monday. Sometimes I feel kinda bad for Monday because nobody likes it. I'm feeling especially tired today because I couldn't sleep last night. I was way to excited about having a new friend. You know you're a loner when...

I know I don't talk much about the other classes but I guess it's because they are SO BORING. Anyway, when the time came around for English class to start I quickly ran and grabbed the book I had rented from the library. Once in class Mr. Toro got us to line up and show him the books we rented. I took the back as usual so by the time I had gotten to the front there was a small pile of reject books. Mr. Toro took my book.

"Ender's Game! I love this book! Good choice Mr. Iero!" Mr. Toro said.

"Thanks."

"You're going to love this book." He said with a wink as he handed it back to me.

"Hey Iero." Oh shit. That was Bert. "Hey, look at me when I'm talking to you."

"What do you want Bert." I said with a sigh.

"I just wanted to tell you that you're useless and nobody likes you." He said with a smirk. These torments have been going on for years. They always say something mean that you should just brush off but I can never do that. They always seem to stick at the back of my mind. They come out when my positive conscious is tired or overworked. So like at the end of every day. I was so tired I just felt like giving up. I felt like running away for a while. Just to see what would happen. Maybe I will. Maybe I should. Then I heard my phone ding. It was Gerard.

Hey, you wanna meet after school?

I thought for a moment before replying.

Sure. Where should we meet? -xofrnk

I'm at that abandoned park right now.

sounds spooky, I'll just text my mom and tell her. -xofrnk

k

After texting my mom I started walking towards the old playpark down the road. When he said he would like to meet every week for coffee I guess I assumed he meant only once a week. When I got there I saw him swinging on the swing all alone. He was looking at his feet so I couldn't see his face. It's weird, he's a dude, but he's so damn pretty. Does me thinking he's pretty make me gay? Maybe I'm bi or pan. But I don't really like girls. Ugh this is getting confusing.

"Hey." I said sitting next to him on the swing and dumping my stuff on the ground.

"Hey." He said looking up at me.

"How was school?" I said, trying to start conversation.

"Fine. You?"

"Fine."

"Do you have any bullies at your school?" I wasn't expecting that question.

"I suppose you could call them that. Although it seems they only pick on the weak. So like me and all the freshman highschool kids." He looked at me with an almost protective expression. I had only just met the guy yesterday and I felt like I've known him all my life.

"So your birthday's coming up huh?" He said breaking his gaze.

"Yeah I guess."

"You're turning 16, you should do something special."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"You could invite a whole bunch of girls over for a sleepover."

"What and do our nails? No thanks. Plus, I'm considered a 'loser' at my school so I seriously doubt any girls would come anyway."