Chapter 5: Psycho

I opened my eyes groggily, my cheek was pressed against the inside of my book. My body was cold, and the candles I had had burning, had went out. I must have passed out at some point. Slowly I shifted and slid out of the bed. Hannah's room. One of my refugees. Slowly I stretched and looked around. It looked the same as it always had, well, perhaps a little less friendly. I tugged out my earbuds and was embraced in silence.

"Chris, Ashley?" I called out heading for the door. The house seemed so quiet, perhaps they had all went to sleep. I rubbed my hands together and made my way down the stairs.

"Josh?" I called into the silence. My voice echoed around the walls. Shuddering I headed for the main staircase, candles were lit, going all the way down. Cold light was seeping in between the blinds on the windows. I hesitated, my eyes drawn to a red balloon with a painted arrow on it.

"Guys?" I entered the small hallway, more candles filled the halls. Doing little to warm the cold rooms. The old grandfather clock chimed as I headed toward it, the sudden noise causing me to jump. I pressed my palm against my chest, a small attempt to calm my hammering heart.

"This isn't funny. Josh?" I called out louder. I followed the stairs down, and down again. My eyes drawn to more red balloons. All leading me down. I swallowed hard.

"Matt, Emily? Are you guys back yet?" My voice cracked toward the end. The silence absorbing my words. My eyes drifted around, there was no signs of anyone. I could feel goosebumps rising all along my arms, and my neck. Slowly I wrapped my arms around my chest, and followed the stairs down to the bottom floor.

My gaze landed on the flashlight Josh had used earlier, when we'd ventured into the basement. Reaching out i grabbed it and switched it on, grateful for the bit of extra light it provided. Quietly I stepped into the small movie room they had. The only thing on, was some white fuzz on the screen. But still no one was in there.

"Seriously guys! This isn't funny! Where are you?" I called out, my voice cracking again. The door slammed shut behind me, I spun around. Shining the flash light on the hard wood. I could feel my breathing hitching in my throat.

"Hello Robin." My heart plummeted at the unfamiliar voice. I spun around, searching but there was no one in the room.

"Looking for me? I don't think you'll have much luck by looking, Robin. You're only going to see what I want you to see. And I have quite a lot to show you..."

"What- where are my friends?" I called out. The voice just pressed on, a film reel coming to life on the screen. I turned to look at it, and found myself looking in Hannah's room. My body curled up on the bed, my eyes locked on the book.

"She's quiet beautiful isn't she? A beautiful nesting bird, do you think she has any idea what lies ahead? Do you think these were the last happy moments of this creatures life?" I shook my head turning away from the screen.

"Why are you showing this to me?" I questioned.

"Why are you watching?" He replied. I turned, attempting to once again find the speaker but to no avail. A pained cry drew my attention back to the screen. It felt like the air had been knocked out of my lungs. Josh's face was on the screen, his body being split into two.

"JOSH!" I screamed, my head was pounding.

"How does it feel?" He whispered. I shook my head again, turning away from the screen. "I'm going to give you ten seconds."

"What? No. Nonononon...." I stepped away from the screen, pressing my back up against the stone wall.

"Nine."

"Eight."

"Seven."

"Stop!" I cried out clutching my chest tightly. The door slammed open, a man walking in. Long shaggy black hair was draped over his white mask. A needle clutched in his gloved hand. I screamed and backed away from him.

"Robin." He breathed out. I stumbled back father shaking my head back and forth. This was all some really bad nightmare.

"Roobiin." He cooed following me further into the room. My eyes caught sight of a dark red vase to my left, before I could process it my fingers curled around the handle and I whipped it at him. I darted across the room, slamming my shoulder into the door as I did. It flew open willingly. It led to a short hallway that branched off in two directions. A room straight ahead, or the garage to the left. I slammed open the door and kicked it shut behind me. I was in some sort of back room, one that I wasn't familiar with. A bed had been pushed into the middle of the hall, a poor block. I jumped onto it, crawling onto the other side as the door behind me flew open.

"Come on Robin." He called out. I darted down the hallway, making my way straight into the basement. I took the stairs three at a time, avoiding the shattered one all together. I sprinted past the boiler and toward a wooden door at the end of a short hall. Wine cases stood on one side. I reach for the old knob, only to find that it was missing. I whipped around, my heart pounding. I could see him coming already. I could also see the knob on the top of one of the wine shelves. I lunged for it, pulling the entire shelf to the floor. My fingers wrapped around the small handling and I darted back to the door, forcing it into place and pushing the door open.

I slammed my back into the door closing it in his face, before reaching up and sliding the deadbolt into place. He slipped his hand through a small opening in the top of the door, attempting to reach it. I slid the small panel closed. Completely sealing the door off. Behind me I could hear him slamming against the door. I slipped through the small room I was now in, and rattled the door knob. It didn't budge. Quickly I slammed my shoulder into it. I was shocked as it gave way and I tumbled down a good two or three foot drop. My body landed in a pile of debris in a long straight hall.

I jogged toward the end of it, my body was shaking. I wasn't sure how much more excitement I could handle. I was left with two options. To my left I could keep running, but on the right there was a small space I was sure I'd fit in. My lungs were burning. I opted to slip into the small space, my fingers flicked off the flashlight. None too soon, I heard his footsteps, then his heavy breathing above me. I bit into my lip until I could taste copper in my mouth.

"Here little kitty.... Here pussy pussy." He cooed. I closed my eyes and willed him to leave. His footsteps turned, as if he was pacing a few steps.

"Fuck!" He swore. I didn't dare move until his footsteps faded into the distance.