Chapter One

At this point in time, Emma Marie Swan was only eight years old, yet she had the wisdom and maturity of an adult. She was so kind to everyone she saw, even the nasty landlord who came to inspect their home every month.

Emma, her mother, and her father weren't the riches folks in the land. They had just enough money for their house and food. The family each only had three pairs of clothes.

However, these things never brought Emma down. In her mind, what they had was all they needed. Most importantly, they had each other. Emma and her parents where happier than any rich folks you would meet.

Emma's house had a large garden, where she liked to spend her free time. She would talk to the animals, and sometimes read under the big oak tree in their backyard. Emma was never unhappy. She appreciated all she had. She didn't think things could get any better. Her positive attitude made her parents believe that too.

Emma's mother had no work. She stayed home with Emma to make sure there would be someone to watch her while her father was away at work. Her father was a merchant, he traveled distant lands. He would always bring Emma back gifts, even if she requested nothing.

"What do you want me to pick you up on my travels?" He would say. "Nothing special. All I ask for is your return, father." She would always say. Emma feared her father wouldn't come back after he left, but she always had faith that he would return without harm.

"Surely you want something, my love." He would say next, then she thought for a moment. "Alright... I suppose I would like the first rock your carriage stumbles over." She grinned. She would always ask for simple things like that, which made her father smile. "Very well, my love. I'll see you when I get back." He would tell her.

Fathers longest trip was twelve weeks, but even that didn't last too long. Emma would always cheer her mother up when she worried that sometime had happened to father. Emma wasn't a big worrier.

One day while mother was sleeping and father was on one of his trips, Emma snuck out of the garden with a pony and rode through the forest. It was one of the most exciting and joyful moments of her life. As she rode, her horse began to get jumpy because of something it saw. Emma got it to calm down as she jumped off of it and carefully started to investigate. Confusion crossed her face as she saw a boy sitting against a tree, fiddling with a necklace with a ring on it. He looked miserable.

"What are you doing in the forest?" She asked curiously. The boy looked up at her, just now noticing her existence. He looked frightened. "P-please don't tell me father! I'm not 'posed to be out here!" He panicked in his thick (As Emma assumed, Irish) accent, standing to his feet. Emma couldn't help but laugh.

"I don't even know you. How would I tell your father?" She laughed, making him look confused. "You don't know who I am?" He asked in disbelief. Emma just shook her head. The young boy used this as an advantage, glad that somebody didn't know that he was a prince...

"Oh.. Of course you don't. I'm just a commoner." He lied. "My father is just very strict, you see. My bad." He said, making Emma giggle. "That's okay." She smiled at him. Emma never had anyone her age to talk to. "How old are you?" She asked.

"I'm nine. What about you?" He asked. "I'm eight." She responded, still keeping the grin on her face. "My name's Emma." She said folding her hands and looking down. "Me name's ki-" he thought for a moment. His real name might have brought her to know who he was. "Kian. My name is Kian." He lied. He felt bad for lying to her, but he felt they could be better friends if she didn't know he was a prince.

"Well it's very nice to meet you Kian." She smiled. She was about to continue the conversation when she heard her father shout her name. "I-I have to go! Meet me here same time tomorrow! Bye!" He smiled at him, then got on her horse and rode back to her house.

Emma had the biggest smile on her face. She was glad to have met a friend her age. He was kind of cute to her too...

She ran back through the hole in the gate that she had gone out through and ran to her father. "Father you're home!" She exclaimed, jumping into his arms. He chuckled, lifting her up. "I missed you my love." He smiled. "I missed you too father." She said, kissing his cheek.

He reached in his picked and pulled out the first rock he stumbled on. "Here. Just as promised." He grinned, giving it to her.

***

Two weeks had gone by and Emma and 'Kian' had met in the forest every day. They always had such lovely conversations, and they always had a grand time together. Before Emma had left him on the last day they met, she had given him a kiss on the cheek. He gave her his ring as a gift of appreciation from her coming to meet with him, and being his friend. She put the chain with the ring around her neck, then rode off. She didn't think things could get any better, until they got worse. When she got home, her smile faded as she saw people coming out of her house crying. She walked in curiously.

"What's going on?" She asked, looking at her father. Suddenly, the whole room was filled with silence. One woman broke into tears, which made Emma extra confused. Her father pulled her off to the side to talk to her.

"Emma, love, your mother is very sick. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. She... She doesn't have much longer. Everyone is here to say goodbye." He sighed, Emma's eyes tearing up. "Can I see her?" She requested. Her father nodded as the two walked into her mothers room. She looked awful.

Emma started to cry as she looked at her mother. "No." Mother shook her head. "Don't cry sweetheart. Please." She begged. Emma wiped her tears and tried her best to hold it in. "Emma, I don't have much time, but I don't want you to despair. I will live on forever in memories, it will be okay. I promise." Mother spoke to Emma. Her voice was hoarse. "As my last words of wisdom to you, I want to say; no matter how hard times get, Emma, I want you to have courage, and be kind." She whispered to Emma. Emma threw herself on her mother in a hug, not being able to contain her tears. "I love you." Her mother whispered, and with that, she was gone. "I love you too." Emma whispered, sobbing. She looked at her dead mothers body, falling to the ground in tears.

***

Emma is now eighteen. And she hasn't spoken to Kian since the day her mother died.