Chapter 5 - Last Part

Somehow, their voices provided me strength to avert my eyes from his, and allowed me to gain a little presence of mind. I looked at the overcast sky, searching for the source of the voices I heard.

“Your proposal sounds promising, Ethan,” I said to him, as my eyes glared at the sky. “But I'm afraid my life is already complete.” I paused the continued. “I have lived long enough to gain the wisdom that life isn't all about enjoyment. It has its ups and downs. And its up to you to cherish the good times and learn from the bad times.”

I turned to him but dared not to look in his eyes. “My life may have its shortcomings ̶ countless as you have mentioned ̶ but I believe every simple moments I have spent with my friends and with my family along with the conviction of my faith, made me happy and strong. Their presence and love allowed me to appreciate what life has to offer. I disagree with you when you said the bad times outnumbers the good ones, because I do feel joyful and secure everyday knowing they are around, which makes it the other way around. They complete me as a person. They have and they always will.” I closed my eyes. “They are my life, Ethan. And I wouldn't be so selfish and decadent as to give them up for my own personal happiness.”

Lora? My mother's voice quivered in controlled sorrow.

“I don't mind if I suffer a lot during the course of my existence. It's part of living. Life is a matter of will, Ethan. Our choices dictate the life that we wish to have. But, life is also a matter of faith. It will inspire us not to give up in this journey no matter what.”

I looked at him warmly, he was glaring at my necklace.

“They are waiting for me. Please take me back.” I said.

“No.” he said, his voice grim.

“Why not?”

“Because I do not want to let you go.”

“What do you mean?”

“I underestimated you, Lora.” his eyes still fixed on the pendant. “And for that I apologize. I thought you were like the other girls I've met. But you're stronger.”

“Please take me back.”

“I can't do that.”

“Why?”

“Because I am this close to winning,” He made a one-inch distance between the thumb and forefinger of his free hand. “And I'm not going to give up now. You see, you've summoned me when you read the message inside the pendant, which means you've allowed yourself to be taken. And last night, you offered yourself freely. So why do you want to go back?”

I squinted my eyes questioningly, and I heard an unfamiliar voice say, Fight it Lora! Fight it! We need you to be strong! Hold on to your faith!

I pulled my hand from his grip, “What exactly are you?”

“I am Ethan.”

“I didn't say who. I said what.”

He chuckled, and then looked me in the eye. His eyes were beautiful as ever, and I once again fell into a trance.

He hypnotizes me with his eyes. I gasped as realization dawned. He took a step forward as I took a step back. And he continued drawing nearer as I continued moving farther.

“You intrigue me. You really do.” he said.

I tried to fight his spell. But my will to defy him could not completely offset the trance. I could not think clearly, and I could not avert my eyes from his no matter how much I try. But I kept moving back as he kept drawing closer.