Chapter 25

Emily got out of the hospital within a few days and we started to prepare for our marriage. Today, we were picking wedding dress and Emily was trying out different gowns. She came out in a white, sheath-wedding gown. I looked at her and marveled at her beauty. I couldn't believe it. I was going to marry this gorgeous woman.

She smiled, "How do I look?"

I grinned, "Perfect."

My cell phone rang and I picked it up.

"Hello? Yes. Okay. I'll be right there."

She asked curiously, "Who is it?"

"The doctor has your X-ray results. I'll go pick it up right now."

"Okay."

I arrived at the hospital and knocked on the doctor's door.

"Come in."

I entered, "Doctor, do you have my girlfriend's X-ray results?"

"Oh yes. Let me take a look."

I waited till he got out her results.

The doctor looked at it for a while and looked up at me gravely, "Sir, I'm sorry to say this, but the X-ray results aren't that good."

I spluttered, "What? What do you mean?"

"The results showed her brain was hit by a blunt object before. It caused a blood clot in her brain. The blood clot is capable of causing amnesia. The blood clot is separated now, but pieces of it are blocking the hypothalamus. We must perform surgery immediately to remove the remaining pieces or else her hypothalamus will stop functioning."

I asked nervously, "What happens when the hypothalamus stops functioning?"

"The hypothalamus controls many things in our body. The most important are body temperature, hunger, and thirst. In her case, when the hypothalamus stops functioning, her body temperature will drop to dangerous levels and she won't feel hunger or thirst. In the end, she'll die by starving or her body temperature drops below normal."

I asked frantically, "What's the surgery success rate?"

The doctor looked at me grimly, "The success rate is 50/50. However, even if her surgery is successful, the time it takes to perform the surgery is very long. In the worst-case scenario, her heart will stop beating. We'll need a heart transplant immediately or else she'll die during the operation."

I opened my mouth in shock and shouted, "Have you any idea what this means to me? We're about to be married!"

The doctor shook his head sadly, "I'm very sorry."

I drove to the airport runway. I got out and yelled, "AHHHHH! AHHHHH!"

I cried. Why? Why did it have to be Emily? After all the hardships, we were finally able to be with each other, and now this. God! Why must you do this to us?

My cell phone rang. I looked at it and it said: Emily.

I cleared my throat and answered, "Hi."

"Where are you? It's two hours already since you left." Her voice sounded worried.

I replied, "Sorry. I'm coming."

She asked, "My X-ray report. Wha""

I hung up. I wiped my tears away and started driving back to the wedding store.

My cell phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"Sir, your fianc just fainted. We dialed 911 and she's at the nearest hospital right now."

I hung up and stepped on the accelerator.