Chapter 1:

April's POV

Man there are so many people here today. I thought to myself as I stepped up to the microphone, and looked out over the crowd that had gather at the small café I had been visiting frequently over the last 2 months, ever since I came to LA. The top off coffee shop and café had a open mic night every Friday night, where tons of hopeful artist would gather together to share there music with their fellow musicians and the good people of LA who had came for a cup of coffee and to see the talent. I had accidently stumbled on to this whole coffee shop scene my first week here. I was looking for a job and was applying to various restaurants in the area's and even though though the coffee shop wasn't hiring, I was happy I stopped by because found about this open night thing. Which was one of the main reasons I came to LA. I wanted to be a musician, music had always been my dream, and it was kind of a secret talent of mine. I had a deep connection with Music, and over the past through years, Music had sort of become an outlet for me to help me deal with all the s**t in my crappy life. I guess I should introduce myself huh? well my name is April Eggers and I am your typical 18 year chasing her dream of being a big time musician only, I was doing it all on my own. I had no friends or family to help support me while I chased my musical dream, You see I am an orphan and until about two months ago, I lived at the Sunny Side home for girls. I had been "rescued" from my crazy abusive step father and erratic drug addict mother at the delicate age of 15, after suffering years of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, and while living at the group home was no picnic, it was better than "home". Truthfully even though my life had pretty much sucked up till my 18th birthday, the last two months in LA had been alright. I had been able to make a fresh start for myself. I had gotten a job as waitress in at local sports bar called hooters (I know you are probably judging me but you know what a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to make a living, and sure my work uniform may be a bit revealing and some people may think I am a slut for working at a place like that but hey it's a job and as I said before, a girls gotta do, what a girls gotta do. Besides its not like I am a stripper and I am not planning on making a career out of it. I am a musician... I am just trying to pay my rent, till I get my big break, or figure something else out. Anyway back to what I was saying...) I found a place to stay through a couple of girls I met at work. They were looking for a roommate at the same time as I was looking for a room, and well things just clicked from there. Don't get me wrong, Erica and Kristina were nice and all, and we got along fairly well, but we are roommates not friends. It's hard for me to let people in sometimes, so I don't really have a lot of friends, or any friends really. But Erica and Kristina were about as close as I had come to having what one could call traditional friends. Kristina (21)and Erica (20) were both beautiful, friendly girls who were just a few years older than myself. Erica had moved to LA to become a model, and though she has had some success and had been featured in a few commercial advertisements, she was still waiting on her big break. While Kristina was a dancer, she was fun and talented and as sweet as pie, but outside of being featured as a background dancer in a few rookie music videos, she hadn't had much success either. But she was so talented and had so much determination, that I was sure she would make it big one day. The both of them had success written all over them, while on the other hand was full of passion and big dreams, the only problem was, I wasn't sure that it would be enough. I mean don't get me wrong, I was talented, but LA is full of talented people. I needed something to help me stand out from the crowd, which is why I often did Kpop covers in addition to my original songs. Every set I would try to sing one song in Korean, one song in Spanish, and one song in English to show my diversity. Usually my English song would be an original song that I wrote, but sometimes I would do a cover. Today I decided to sing a cover of "With You" by B.A.P. for my Korean Song, "Amor Probhibido" by Selena for my Spanish song, and for English song I choose to do a cover of "Only Hope" by Mandy Moore. I gripped my Guitar a little tighter as I stepped up and began singing my first song, and lost myself in the music as soon as I started singing. I sang my heart out as I sang through my set list quickly not even bothering to see how tonight's audience was reacting to my chosen songs, just wanting to express as much of myself as I can through the music in my allotted performance time. As soon as I finished my set the small crowd began to applaud and I thanked them with a small bow and a slight wave as I quickly made my way off the stage so that the next person can start there set. I placed my guitar back in its case and began making my way over to the table that my roommates Kristina and Erica were sat at. But before I could reach them I was stopped by a middle aged man in a suit.