Angels and Aliens

Supergirl could have its Evangelion moment if it features Kon-El as James Olsen's little brother. For those who don't know, Evangelion is a popular but popularising animated series debuting in the 1990s. Itself was influenced by other productions such as Gunbuster, which its director and studio had previously worked on but also the violent and blasphemous Devilman as well as its eerily similar predecessor Ideon.

Ideon could be described as the 80s Evangelion if it weren't for the suspiciously similar cast, plot, trajectory and themes of humans assimilating into one force and an impending apocalypse cast by a godlike figure. There were a series of Spanish language pictures that pointed out close parallels between each programme's casts.

One could say that Evangelion lifted a lot from Ideon, down to the scenes, characters, movies and trajectory. Both of them suffered from botched productions and directors with emotional problems at the time. Both of them received compilation movies before getting fully animated ones where many characters suffer badly. Both of them involve a scientist's son who teams up with an fiery pig-tailed lass to pilot a godly red robot together.

Both of them have characters that are duplicates of their Ideon counterparts, which is already explained in those series of pictures before. While Ideon's not as well known as Evangelion, especially when outside of Japan but if it weren't for Ideon being an admitted influence on the latter there would've been no Evangelion.

Evangelion has had its fair share of controversy including graphic violence, botched episodes and the hospital scene in End of Evangelion. It eventually received multiple spin-offs and a cinematic reboot series. While Evangelion never influenced Supergirl, the latter could have its own Evangelion moment.

When Supergirl reveals Kon-El to be James's kid brother, that's when the dam breaks loose flooding the programme with death threats by disgruntled fans. Producers and writers try to mend things by introducing a white Superboy but it only makes matters worse.

Just as Evangelion's controversies moved it to a late night time slot and influencing other anime to do the same, Supergirl's own controversies will tear the programme apart and either have it taken off air or get moved to a late night time slot to get away with whatever it wants to do.

It will influence other programmes like Flash and Arrow to do the same, be it depowering Barry Allen or a masturbating Felicity Smoak. It's the Evangelion feeling again when these happen.