Ghosts of controversies' past

Superhero television and film are going the way of their comics counterparts in trajectory. They mostly went from appealing to the masses and most especially children to pandering to a niche audience as the humble ratings of Supergirl, Gotham, Flash and Arrow are any indication. (In fact, Supergirl's ratings have been declining for several weeks.)

Viewers should watch out for producers and writers cynically instigating controversy to boost ratings. It's not going to last long and could ruin the programmes' reputations and appeal. In the interim, producers and writers could change their minds when introducing something new and different to watch.

Rather than treating viewers to League of Legends, they'll give us a depowered punk detective Barry Allen and a masturbating Felicity Smoak, which get featured in trailers. Same thing goes for Supergirl if and when they substitute Kon-El for Kal-El.

It will cause so so much controversy that when these episodes actually appear many audiences have finally lost their interest in them, having already knew of what they're going to do. Along with oversaturation, this is going to lead to an industry crash comparable to what became of superhero comics before and it's a future superhero television and cinema will fall into.