Prologue

I am Lumena Brighton. A resident of district 3 and student inventor. My first official school invention was the heat signal pen. It only works by one of two heat signatures. Either mine or what used to be Rusty's. Who's Rusty? He went with me to the hunger games as a competitor. Sadly, he didn't make it. For now, I am sitting in my moderately sized victor's village house attempting to forget all of the psychological trauma I've been through. And as hard as I try it doesn't work. My grandmother told me that she knew this would happen. That the hunger games would happen. At first I though she was crazy, until she showed me the books she had growing up. They were old and dusty but one had a shiny gold mockingjay pin on its cover, another had the same thing although it's background was black instead of red. The final book was a light sky blue and had a mockingjay flying across the cover. All three of the books were set in the future of now. More like is set in present tense. Currently the 74th reaping day has just started and I am skimming through my grandmother's books to see what will happen in the next two weeks. Especially for District 12. But this year is already written down. I should probably write down the 73rd hunger games for you.