Letter 3: Martha

August 31, 1861

   To my treasured husband,  

   I have both wonderful and upsetting news. I am with a child. That is certainly wonderful. If I bore him/her before you went to war, I would be ecstatic. You know I would have been. But with you gone I am most worried. I am filled with doubt about this child. How am I supposed to take care of a child as well as myself? I can barely do the latter. I am scared Henry. I am scared that when I bring this child into the world, we will be but alone. I am scared that I will bring this child into the world of the living and lose him/her again. This is when I curse this damned war for keeping you away from me. This is when I need you Henry and you aren't here. Henry, come back! Please! I don't know what to do without you! Dear God end this cursed war so that my unborn child and I will have our Henry back. 

   I am already working, but it is getting harder. The factories in the city are barely meant for any person to work in, let alone a pregnant woman such as me. You wouldn't believe the conditions I've had to work in. Low pay, long hours, short breaks, dangerous surroundings and you couldn't imagine the greasy little buggers I've had to work for. It's awful Henry. I know that the managers wouldn't make men work in such bad conditions or such low pay, but because we're women they all think they can take advantage of us. And the awful thing is that they can! We don't have any other choice but to work for them! With all of the men and husbands off at war this is the only way for us to gain money. I feel so worthless and taken advantage of Henry. I feel as though if I were to cease living, instead of anyone mourning they would celebrate because another job is open. I want to stop Henry. I want to stop working in this God awful place and I want you to come home. That is, if there is a home for you to come back to. I can't even keep up with the taxes Henry! Most nights I go to bed hungry. It's especially hard because I know I have to eat more because I am not only feeding me, but my poor unborn child as well. 

   It's only been five months since you've been gone, but if this is what the beginning is like, I worry about what happens when it is longer than that. I can only assume that it will only get harder after this. I need you to come home Henry! I need you back, my love. When will you come home Henry? 

                                                           I need you.