Chapter 2

TAYLOR:

I ran as fast as I could to school.

I NEEDED to tell my best friend Hunter about what happened.

I opened the doors, and luckily there was no teacher bored with their life just waiting to give me a detention slip.

I waited in the lunchroom until the bell rang.

When it finally did, I quickly walked to his locker, because he always goes to his locker after class.

"Hunter!" I yell in his ear.

He jumps and says, "Geez, what's up with you? Finally showed up to school?"

I roll my eyes. "You better have lunch right now."

"I do... And why?" He says while slowly closing his locker door.

"Because," I whisper while grabbing his arm leading him to the lunchroom.

I sit down on a chair, as Hunter refuses. I gesture him to sit next to me, but he just has to ruin everything.

"Yeah, Imma grab food first." Hunter says walking away.

"No! No! No," I say chasing him.

I grab his shoulder and whisper, "It's really important!"

"So is my hunger!" He argues. "Just let me grab some pizza."

I groan and wait for him at the table in the back of the lunchroom, because I don't want everyone to hear that I saw a mermaid thank you very much!

When Hunter comes back, he brings his girlfriend Janice with him...

I don't hate her, I don't even really mind her.

She's just there, ya know? I mean, I can consider her a friend I guess.

When they approach, I say, "Uh, hey Janice!"

Hunter gives me a unhappy look.

"So you finally decide to come to school, ay?" Janice says laughing.

"That's what I said!" Hunter chuckles.

They both sit down as I scratch my head.

Should I tell Janice? I don't know if this is something you tell to just regular friends. I'm only tell Hunter because I've known him since the third grade, so I know I can trust him.

Whatever. I don't want to piss either of them off.

"So... Earlier this morning, I went surfing. A big wave came over me, and the next thing I know I'm falling deeper and deeper in the water." I start.

"And this girl, she came to save me. I looked down and..."

I looked up to see their reactions to the story so far and... They probably think I'm going insane.

"She was... She had this tail,"

Before I could finish, Janice bursted out laughing. "Wait, like a mermaid?"

"Shut up!" I shushed her. "Yes, she was... A mermaid."

They both looked at each other with a odd facial expression.

"I think you just dreamt that, bro." Hunter says holding in a laugh.

"Which part? The mermaid or the girl?" Janice said while laughing so hard, I was surprised I understood what she said.