"Chapter 1"

"Head high lady, love is about lies and deception, will always be seen through the eyes of my demise, don't cry just, hold on stay head strong and live to learn that life goes on..."

Duane Coles
Queens, New York

"Wane.....wane? Boy if you don't getcha lil ass up Ima get that water." My momma said shaking me repeatedly.

"Mm....five more minutes ma." I mumbled into my pillow.

"You know what, I done told you." She muttered.

Just as I was getting back into my comfortable sleep, freezing cold water was dumped on my head.

"Ahhhhhh!" I screamed.

"Ma, why you do dat'?" I huffed jumping out of the bed.

"I know I told you to get up more than once. You know what comes after that." She said walking out of the room my younger brother and I shared.

This an everyday thing with us. She comes in to wake me up, I don't wake up, she pours water on my head.

I walked into the bathroom and brush my teeth. Then I went to get out some clothes until the smell of my mama's biscuits hit me like a truck, so you know ya' boy had to get some.

As I walked into the kitchen I sat down beside my little brother, De'Von.

"What's good Vonnie D." I said laughing at my nickname for him.

"Woah," He said holding his nose,"Not your breath. Smell like you ate garlic for breakfast." He said cracking up.

"Whatever." I growled as I went back to the bathroom. After my shower I went to find something to wear. I threw on a red t-shirt, some jeans, Timbs, and a hat.

When I was done I walked back in the kitchen only for them to start laughing again.

"Shut up De'von." I said pushing him.

"Goodmorning ma'." I said stealing a biscuit. As I reached for a piece of bacon she slapped me hard in the back of my head.

"Ow ma! What was that for?"
"You know we don't curse in this house boy." She said going back to looking at the stack of envelopes she had in her hand.

"What's wrong mama?" De'von  asked, referring to the expression on her face as she read a piece of paper with read printing on it.

"De'von, getcho' book bag and coat, and go wait at the bus stop. I'll be out there inna minute." I told him.

"But-"

"Go De'von." I told him.

"Fine. Yall always tryna' hide stuff from me like I'm a kid. I'm 13, dang."

"Look, watcho' mouth, 'for I pop you in it. Now go." Ma getting up from her chair.

He grabbed his bag of the floor and exited, slamming the door on his way out.

"He kills me with that smart ass mouth." She said sitting back down.

"Was I that bad?" I asked chuckling.

"Yeah you were. In fact, you was worse." She said looking over her glasses. "Mama what the paper say?"

"Nothing baby. Go head' go to school na." She said

I grabbed the paper off the counter skimming over it.

"Ma didn't I ask you to tell me whenever you couldn't pay a bill? I told you I got us-"