Eric and his Vans

Yeah, is it too late now to say sorry?

Cause I'm missing more than just your body.

Is it too late now to say sorry?

Yeah I know that I let you down,

is it too late to say sorry?

     The song to our latest dance choreography cut off with a single tap as I rubbed my eyes. I nudged Bela aside, knowing that she could sleep through an apocalypse.  Grumbling my way to the washroom, definitions of the cell flashed in my mind. Another exam had cost me hours of sleep last night. I went to the kitchen to make lunch for my Mom, Bela, and I, when it started to rain outside. By the time I was walking to school, it was sunny. Vancouver's weather had more mood swings than a teenage girl. 

     In class, everyone was freaking out about the test. Surprisingly, the typical honours student in my school probably procrastinated the most. Chloe and I gave each other secret glances the entire time that silently said How easy is this test? At lunch, Chloe, Alice, and I were eating at my locker (and complaining about how hungry we still were), when Eric and his friends walked by. Sending a quick nod to Eric, I rolled my eyes at my friend's faces. Before they could speak, I cut them off.

     "It's not like that, we're just dance partners.", I replied, crunching on a carrot. Of course, there was once a time I had wanted to marry the guy. 

     The bell just rang for lunch in sixth grade. I ran out to the playground in record time, searching for Eric or Celine. Celine wasn't just my best friend, she was my best friend forever. We never fought, and never planned to. We were so close that I even told her about Eric, and how my heart felt like it was playing jump rope whenever he came near. Just before I rounded the corner, I heard Eric. He sounded nervous. 

     "I... I... really like you, Celine.", he stammered. I inched closer so I could hear better. 

     Wait, WHAT? Surely he meant like as in friend like, because Eric didn't like like anyone, at least that's what he had told me. I waited anxiously for Celine's answer. She knew I liked him, so she wouldn't say anything bad, right? 

     "I guess I like you too then Eric. But a lot of other girls do too. So in the end, you get to choose.", she replied with what sounded like a flirty tone. 

     "Well then, of course, I choose you, Celine." I couldn't remember anything after that because I swore that my jump rope heart just stopped. Right there in that undercover area. I ran to a far away corner of the school parking lot and cried until I felt sick. I cried until the front of my dress was soaked with salty tears. 

     No one came because no one cared. 

     That was the day that I found out that the only person who would ever be there for me was me. So I washed off my tears in the bathroom, put on a smile, and got through the rest of the year. By the time seventh grade rolled around, Alice and Chloe had transferred into the school. 

     Don't get me wrong, I'm still a strong believer in love. I love my family more than anything. It's just that love isn't there for you, just as no one else is. It's a harsh reality, but I'm glad that I saw it. After my last class, I head to the dance studio to practice the duet.