And the New Bodyguard Is...

"What is the meaning of this?", I calmly asked Kamran. I had had enough freaking out for one day, and tiredly sipped a glass of orange juice.  I could see the bright ceiling lights shining off of every one of the uniformed guards' polished boots. 

     "You need a bodyguard Kali. Especially with the press attention you're getting right now, you are a prime target for any kidnappers looking for ransom money.", Kamran affirmed, looking closely at each officer as he walked along the line. 

     "What about Devon and Damian? They don't have any bodyguards.", I exclaimed, remembering the lack of uniformed men around Devon and Damian when they picked me up from school.

     "We usually have them trail the boys in their own car, due to my sons' need for, uh, privacy. You may chose to also do that, if you wish." As I hesitantly approached the almost six foot tall men, I straightened my back and forced myself to look nonchalant, as if picking out pesonal bodyguards was an everyday occurence for me. They were currently standing stone faced, staring straight ahead, with their arms by their sides, so I took note of the ones who made eye contact with me when I walked by. There was one I noticed, who was slighly less cold than the others, and made brief eye contact with me. He had bright red hair, as well as a few bruises and scratches along his face and neck.

     "If I must have a bodyguard, I pick this one, Sir...", I trailed off, looking at red expectantly.

     "Aaron, Miss.", he looked startled, if not slightly afraid.

     "With all due respect, Sir,", a guard with a few more badges than the others stepped forward, addressing Kamran. "I don't believe Aaron is fit to be Misses guard. He is by far the youngest out of us, and also the most unruly.", he sneered in the direction of Aaron.

     Kamran was about to speak, when I interrupted. "With all due respect to you, Sir, I believe that you mistakenly addressed Kamran. After all, this is MY bodyguard we are picking out today, so the final decision goes to me.", I seethed, angry at being overlooked like that. Kamran nodded, more than a little bit awed. "I choose Officer Aaron as my bodyguard.", I announced.

     The chief officer opened his mouth again, before I cut him off. "I urge you gentlemen to get used to me making my own decisions. Although this is a life I would not choose for myself, I assure you that I am as capable of making wise choices as any of you...", I trailed off, not sure how to let the officers know they could leave. "Now, if Kamran doesn't have anything else to say, you are all dismissed." He stared slack-jawed, before glancing at Kamran for his approval. 

     "You may all go.", Kamran reaffirmed. "And Officer Aaron?", he directed at Aaron. 

     "Yes sir?"If Aaron was worried, he quickly masked it with neutrality. 

     "Meet me in my officer in one hour. We have a few things to discuss." Red quickly bowed before marching out. 

I could already feel the headache coming on, especially after that ass of a a head officer had pushed my buttons. Kamran walked toward me, a spark in his eyes.

     "Your leadership skills are impeccble Kali. You even handled that jackass of a head officer!", Kamran exclaimed. 

     "You girls are free to go back home and rest. My fiancee and I have some wedding plans to make.", Mom beamed, once again staring at Kamran. 

     As we were almost out the front door, Kamran called, "I'll send Officer Aaron to you first thing tomorrow morning. Along with an accommodating car!"

     Oh lord. I really didn't want to know Kamran's definition of accomodating.