3

Chapter 3

My hands shook as I sat down on my bed and stared down at them for what felt like hours. My breath became ragged even though I sat still. My heart beat hard against my chest no matter how hard I tried to calm it.

I felt scared of myself.

There are people all around the world that would pay everything to just have some supernatural powers, to be different, to be a freak. I've never wanted anything like this. I've always been fine with the way I am - normal. I valued piece. I have never, not once in my life wanted to be different, so why the hell am I?

I felt like throwing something at the wall. I never asked for any of this! If this is what the additive in the food supply took away from me, I'm ready to start eating again. But not yet. Before I refuse to have all this, I am going to find out what else they took away from me. I want to know everything.

I stood up and went to the sink. If what happened outside was not a hallucination, I would know. I really hoped it was. I turned the silver handle to the side, making water flow into the small sink. I raised my hand and directed it towards the sink. I moved my hand up and down, from left to right and from right to left, but nothing happened. I wanted to believe all I saw minutes ago wasn't real, but I knew it was.

I probably needed more concentration.

I felt like a fool trying to do something that has never been possible and never will be; like a child trying to turn into a mermaid. So I stopped and went to the kitchen to eat. I grabbed a loaf of bread and stared at it. If I started eating the additive again, all of this would disappear, I would be normal again. I wouldn't be a top student in class or an anomaly. This is the easiest way.

This is not what my grandpa taught me.

I remember being 5 years old, listening to him reading me fairytales late at night. After finishing one he would tell me the moral of the story and what I could learn from it. Almost all of the fairytales had a moral of never choosing the easy way. Grandpa also made me believe all tales were life lessons. If I've done something good in my life, I've done it thanks to him. If he was here, he would tell me to drop the bread back where I took it from and go concentrate on my powers.

I remembered I haven't visited aunt Cora for three days. I felt guilty. I made a promise to never leave her side. What was I doing instead of that? Nothing.

I put the bread on the counter, running up the stairs and into aunt's room.

There she lied, on her bed, as always. I don't know what I was hoping for, maybe for her to be conscious, at least able to talk; at least able to tell me she was alive, but she was as unconscious as the last time I went in here.

I sat on the armchair by her bed and took her hand in mine. The aparats that we had taken from hospital announced her slow heartbeat and her still unconscious state.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to her, clutching her hand in both mine. "You know I am. I just want you to wake up."

"She will," a deep voice said from behind me. I jumped and turned around to find Shade leaning against the wooden doorframe, his hands in his jeans pockets, his face emotionless. I knew better than to believe that facade. His face always automatically became emotionless when his mind was going mad. I think it was his natural way of guarding his heart.

He walked over to the bed and stood on his knees next to me, taking aunt's hand away from my hands and into his.

"I believe she will," said he.

I didn't believe in it like he did. He believed in everything. It's been too long. I don't think she will ever wake up. She will grow old not even understanding it, she will not see the world slowly changing and all of this is thanks to me.