Chapter 4: Rage

When I was little I had this dog. I named him fluffy, not because he was fluffy and cute. He was actually the exact opposite. He was was a sad looking dog with tangled, short, white fur. Technically he was a stray, but I loved him regardless. I called him fluffy because he was supposed to be fluffy. We had him for exactly three months and five days. That is until he ran away. I cried for weeks because I had missed him so much. My child mind didn't understand why my "best friend" didn't love me enough to stay.  Now I think it's funny that the first thing to abandon me was an animal. Not many years later, I soon learned that humans do the same thing. 

"So we have a bond?" I looked over at Julie from across the room. She had come to check on me after the whole Adam and Eric drama. Although she didn't really know the whole story and she obviously was forced to check on me, I appreciated her company. 

She groaned," Yes! For the thousandth time yes." Her arms were crossed over her small chest while she checked her nails. 

I looked at her with a puzzled expression. "What happened to you?" 

She looks up at me with annoyance. "What?"

I ask,"What happened to you? The Julie I knew..."

She stands straight against the doorway with her eyebrows knitted with frustration. "You never knew me."

"But. You seemed like a nice person whenever we talked before."

She sighs,"Look Eric, Adam, and I. We protect people. That means sometimes we have to come up with an identity so that we can live among humans." 

I bite my lip, not sure if I should ask my next question. My curiosity quickly gets the best of me," Who were you protecting."

She freezes and her hard green eyes soften for just a second. She looks down at her feet and sighs. "Brian." 

I just stare at her. Not sure which words, questions, or feelings come next. "Did she know?"  She looked back up at me with her face flush with guilt. "She knew."  "You knew?", I asked her. 

She opened her mouth and said nothing. 

"She knew." That's all that cycled through my mind. "Why didn't you say anything?" Again nothing comes out of her mouth. Finally, I ask," Why were you protecting him?" 

We make eye contact. I can see the regret clear on her face. She responds," He's one of us, but like you, he didn't know." 

"Didn't. So that means he knows now?" She nods. "Does he know about me?"

Her expression lightens," No he doesn't. I didn't tell him." She sighs, "But, I think you should ...well deserve to know." She sighs again," He is here." I freeze and all the possible warning signals that my body could muster up go off in my head. Julie quickly adds," He thinks you're dead."

My body calms down and I can breathe again. "Why? How?"

"He went to your apartment and assumed the worst. I couldn't tell him otherwise or else he'd probably look for you, but you must know Crystal. As much as you hate him for what he's done in the past. He is a changed man. Once he discovered what he was, why he has always been different, and what his purpose was. He became a better man." 

I can feel my body become agitated with every word she says.  I snap, "That monster could never become a better man. He is cruel and manipulative. Sooner or later he will show his true colors and you'll regret it."

Her,  seemingly permanent, scowl returns to her pale face. " You don't even know him like I do?"

Looking at her sideways, I ask," Like you do?" She lifts her chin like a stubborn child. "Please don't tell me you mean what I think you mean?" She doesn't answer. I laugh and look at her in disbelief," Julie no matter what that man has done to win you over. You can not trust him. In the end, he will only cause you pain and regret. Take it from someone who has been there."