Chapter 5: Decide

Crystal stares at Eric's peaceful face blocking out her surroundings, "What does it mean? I rack my brain countless time to figure out what this stupid dream means. But no matter how many times I go over it I can't quite put my finger on it."  

Beep. Inhale

Beep. Exhale 

Beep. Inhale

"God I can't take this anymore!" Julie storms out of the room. Watching her dramatic exit, she stays seated and turns her eyes back to Eric. His body lies on a dull infirmary bed. A face mask is positioned over is mouth and nose and behind him is a heart rate monitor. 

Adam sighs from beside her, "Don't mind her. She's always in a mood."

Crystal offers him a sad smile,"Yeah I noticed." She can see the exhaustion on his face that, no doubt, matched her own. They all had been waiting up by Eric's side for the past three days. Still they had no idea what to make of his condition.  Adam said that their kind had natural healing abilities, but so far there was no improvement. Her smile dropped," Are you sure that there is nothing we can do?"

Adam shrugs his shoulder," At this point, I honestly can't guarantee anything." He sighs," Unless you tell me exactly what happened." Crystal looks down at Eric. "If you don't tell me I can't help him...or you."

She looks down at her lap. Fiddling her fingers, she mumbles in shame," I lost control."

Listening, he asks," How?"

She shakes her head," I'm not sure."

He pushes," Crystal you can tell me."

She looks up at him," He was training and I lost control. I don't know how or why, but it happened. All I know is that when it did I didn't know it was even him that I was." She lets out an exaggerated breath," That I was attacking, but somehow it was."

Adam contemplates what she says. He asks," How exactly did you attack him?"

Crystal swallows the growing lump in her throat. "I'm not sure. One second I'm punching him, and the next there is white light shooting out of my hands." 

Adam freezes. "So you've discovered one of your powers?" He asks with slight curiousity," How did it feel?"

She thinks," I felt warmth radiate from my spine to my hands. Almost as if my whole body was covered in fire, but the heat wasn't harming me." 

He asks," But how did that make you feel?"

She looks from Eric's sleeping form with guilt. "It felt amazing. I never wanted to stop. That's the scary part."

They both grow silent as the sound of Eric's heart monitor dominates the space.