Chapter 26: Take Over

Narian paced her cell restlessly. Her mind was her own again and she remembered every bit of what she'd done to Demetriot. It pained her, knowing that he was hurting because of her. She never wanted to hurt him, never wanted anything to happen to him. This was what she'd been trying to avoid when Alven had run for president.

He'd been trying to avoid this, but it hadn't worked. Julius had been smarter than they realized, and he certainly wasn't afraid to play dirty. "Now what, Alven?" Narian whispered, finally sitting down on her small bed.

She couldn't trust herself anymore. Not now that they could turn her mind against her. She'd fought it with everything she had, but they'd taken her anyway. She would have preferred to stay dead than be their pawns, but it's hard to fight after being mortally wounded.

She was getting lonely and the more time she spent in here, the more she felt it deep inside herself. She knew Dem was in trouble again, and that it was her fault, but if she tried to help, she would end up trying to kill him. She couldn't do that to him again, so she didn't both trying to escape. Everyone would be safer if she just stayed put.

Her first warning of the intrusion was the blinding headache that started. She gasped, hugging her knees and pressing herself into a ball. The pain came in staggering waves, flowing over her and pulsing right between her eyes.

She curled up, tears streaming down her face. The pain escalated and blood started to pour out of her nose. They were trying to control her. It should have been working too, but it wasn't. She was still hanging in. Give in! Stop the pain. Her mind begged.

The door to her cell opened and Lyss came in. She stopped and stared at Narian's quivering form. "Narian?" She asked hesitantly.

With the last of her strength, Narian gasped out a warning. "Get... out... they're trying... to get in." She collapsed, completely drained of any fight. It was up to Lyss to keep her here now. There wasn't' anything else she could do. Her vision went red and she lost control completely.

Lyss whirled and banged the door open again, trying to escape, but it was too late. Narian grabbed her from behind in a chokehold and held on tightly. Lyss couldn't breathe anymore. Black dots danced before her eyes. "Narian, please," she tried, but Narian's grip tightened until Lyss finally collapsed, out cold.

Narian fought with herself inside, struggling for control. Stop! She begged. I can't hurt anyone else. Please, just leave me alone!

Her body continued to act without her permission, taking Lyss's handguns out of her belt and creeping along the hallway. She took out guards left and right, creating pandemonium as soon as the first gunshot went off. Guards swarmed and tried to get a clear shot, but she weaved between them all expertly, shooting until she ran out of bullets and then slipping off into a side tunnel while everyone panicked and tried to deal with the dead and wounded soldiers and guards.

She reached the exit quickly, knocking out the few guards or soldiers in her way and slipping through. She disappeared into the night like a shadow and headed for Wilkson's headquarters.

***

The guards let her in without a word and she entered Wilkson's small office. He smiled at her and cocked his head at the chair across from him. "Have a seat," he offered.

She sat down gracefully and stared at him until he looked away, uncomfortable.

"What do you need me to do for you?" Narian asked, emotionless. Let me out! I can't hurt anyone else. Please... She begged silently, struggling for control of herself.

"Take a look at this," Wilkson said, turning the computer screen toward her. It was feed from wherever they were keeping Demetriot.

He was sitting in the corner of his cell eating a tiny piece of bread and occasionally kicking out at one of the many hungry rodents. "I need him to be motivated to use his abilities, and you're probably the only thing that will get him going again."