Eight

Eight

this is really bad read at your own risk

Lacey clings to Michael's shirt, trying to nuzzle her head in the crook of his neck. Michael tisks, running his fingers through her hair. Her forehead is warm, causing Michael to frown.

"Baby, I know you don't feel well, but I have to get ready for work," Michael sighs, kissing the top of her head before he sets the sick toddler on his bed. Lacey whines in protest and crawls over to Michael's side of the bed, cuddling into his pillow for some comfort while Michael can't give her attention.

"My tummy hurts," Lacey says after Michael comes out of the bathroom to find shoes to wear to work. It's Friday, so he doesn't have to worry about the older teachers giving him looks for wearing Converse to work. They're just shoes, he doesn't see the big deal about him wanting to wear clothes he's comfortable in.

Michael walks over to her whilst tucking in the pocket of his skinny jeans, frowning when he sees the tears forming in his little girl's eyes. "I know, Lace. C'mere." He pats the edge of the bed as she slowly peeks out from underneath the covers, then crawls over to home.

He waits for her to sit back on her heels to grab the Peppermint oil off of the nightstand. He twists the cap off and dabs some onto Lacey's index finger when she reaches out towards it, and watches her rub it onto her tummy.

"You good?" Michael asks her, raising his pierced eyebrow at her. He has to remember to take it out before he leaves.

Lacey silently nods and lays back on the bed just as Luke walks into the room.

"Feeling any better Lacey?" The blonde asks, only getting a whine in response. Luke sighs, taking that as her way of saying that they're still not on speaking terms. He still hasn't given up yet, and he doesn't plan on it anytime soon.

"She's fine, just a little stomach bug, right Lace?"

Lacey doesn't answer Michael, instead she stuffs her face into his pillow again and looks up at him with wide eyes. Michael sighs and glances over to Luke, who's watching Lacey with a slight frown.

"Are you sure you're fine taking care of her? I can stay home if you want me to. . ." Michael trails off, not wanting to force Luke into doing anything he would be uncomfortable with. Besides, he's not sure if Lacey will give Luke a hard time today or not; she's already stubborn and being sick doesn't really help with that.

"We'll be fine, Mike. If we have any issues, which we won't, I'll call you, okay?" Luke assures him, his lips twitching up into a soft smile. He notices the hesitant look on Michael's face and pulls him into his chest, resting his hands on the small of Michael's back. "I promise."

"Okay," Michael sighs, looking behind Luke, at Lacey. She looks like she could fall asleep any second, and he thinks that maybe it might not be as bad as he thought. He's justs little worried because he's never left either of the girls along with anyone except for his mom, but if Luke thinks that he can handle it, so does Michael.

"I'll see you later then?" Luke says, kissing Michael's forehead softly.

Michael nods, smiling at the small gesture of affection Luke had just given him. Luke's been doing that a lot lately, and it makes him really happy that he feels comfortable enough with Michael to do it.

"I love you, Lacey," Michael softly says to her, blowing her a kiss from the opposite side of the room as her. Lacey blinks slowly, doing the same back to Mike, then nuzzles her face into the comfortable sheets again.

Keeley shouts something from down the hall about wanting to leave and Michael laughs, giving Luke one last hug before saying, "remember, if you need any help, please call me."