Untitled Part 7

Surprisingly the pain serum also doubled a person's healing abilities which in Clint's mind means they wanted people alive but in excruciating pain, that made him all the more mad as he marched determined into the tower, stumbling once once. It's been a day since he was in medical with Bucky and was he glad to get out! Clint hates medical, everyone from doctor to patient knows it and when he tries to leave they either strap him down or let him go, depending on the injury. The pain serum should heal all the other wounds and the effects should wear off in a few days, the doctor had said.

Clint was fine, physically but he needed to grieve so as soon as they were in the common room he asked Jarvis to open up file 17339 "Unit file", which he did. The cover was a photo of the unit in full military dress, Aiden striking the most flamboyant pose ever seen, Miranda deciding to mimic Nat and smiling that seductive but dangerous smile Nat always does. Beachhead and Daisy were standing proud, Daisy's collar matching Beachhead's collar bracelet. It made Clint's hear ache.

"Aiden was so scared when he first came out to us, he was scared we'd kick him out until I confessed about being Bi and Miranda confessed about being Ace, it was ok after that. Him and I would always check out the new soldiers while Miranda settled out debate about which one was hotter. Beachhead generally avoided those fights because 1) he was straight and 2) he knew better than to get involved" a wry smile wormed it's way onto Clint's lips. His gaze stayed on the picture steadily "It was in the middle of a war zone and he thought he was going o die, so he confessed, say he'd die an honest man". A sad laugh made it's way from Clint's throat.

It wasn't hard to see that his unit's death had hit him hard, it was right there in his eyes, the way they were too bright and too watery, he cared about his unit, he had lost them. Bucky laid a hand on Clint's shoulder and sat next to him, so close their hips and thighs were pressing against each other. Clint swiped his finger over air and a new picture popped up, it was of Miranda with a coy smile leaving the bar with a man "The first seduction mission she did, she hated every second of it" Clint whispered "Jarvis, could you put contacts; Dave, Bene' and Ben on the phone?" "of course agent Barton". 

Clint took a steadying breath before the 3 voices yelled "CLINT" in surprise and happiness, Clint gave a watery laugh "where's the others?" Dave asks, sounding optimistic "they.....they came home, not alive but I made sure they came home" Clint says softly. A silence follows and Bucky squeezes Clint's hand "I'm sorry" Clint says and it was repeated 3 times through the silence before each contact hung up "It wasn't worth it" Clint whispers, pressing himself into Bucky. Bucky wraps his arms around Clint and holds him close "Ashes to ashes" Bucky says into the empty silence "dust to dust" Clint whispers back, equally as soft.