t h r e e

"Mom, are you home?" I shout, slipping off my dirty, white converse. I should seriously look into investing in a new pair.

But let me tell you. Shoes aren't cheap anymore. Especially if you want to get a nice pair that last a decent while.

"Mom?" I say, more of a shout.

I rush over to the kitchen. Maybe she's in here. Then again she would have answered me right then and there. Why do I even try.

I pick up a small, square sheet of paper that sat in the middle of the counter. I read aloud.

"Hey baby. I had to go into work early, I assume you have work at the diner tonight. Please drive safe. I left extra money for adam if he wanted to order food later."

"Fuck, it's 4:35!" I shout, echoing throughout the entire kitchen. I've had many warnings about my many absences. The only thing is they haven't done shit; considering I'm the only employee that has stuck with them.

I dug threw the piles of clothes that sat throughout my floor. Being neat was definitely not one of my traits.

I slip on the tight uniform, scrunching up into my crotch making my panties go a mile up my ass. I've definitely gained a couple pounds, but I didn't care.

I finally stop stalling in my drive way. I really wasn't looking forward to getting a lecture from my boss. I was ten minutes late, now eleven.

"Dennies Diner," now lit up in my face. I get out of my car, sliding my purse across my shoulder. I then received a quick "ding!" Indicating I had opened the door.

I make my way to the back. Greeting customers as I walk past the serving bar.

"You're here, Mariana!" The main chef, Martinez, greets me.

Where's Marlene?

"It's only been fifteen minutes?" He glares at me for a moment, twirling the metal spatula in his hand.

"Yes, but you do understand that you've been late a lot lately." He defends himself.

Who pissed in his cheerios and decided not to tell him.

I've never gotten in an argument with him before. I mean I assume this is an argument. Only with his annoying, controlling wife, Marlene.

She is the owner of this place. Yelling at us workers is apart of her daily satisfaction.

"Martinez, I'm not going to say it again. I told you, I've been very busy with school."

"Do you even understand how hard it is to get in the university of California?" His eyebrows rises, leaving the left one to relax.

"Look, you are one of our best waitresses. I understand my wife is hard on yo--"

"Hard on me? She's hard on everyone, including you!" I throw my hands in the air.

He grins, opening his mouth to speak before he was abruptly cut off.

"Oh, good. Mariana, you're here. New order at table six!" Charlotte shouts from across the room, rolling on her skates. That's right, we get roller skates.