Battles

A/N: So, NaNoWriMo kicked my trash. It was brutal, and I finished it, but it really addled my brain so that by the time I came back to this story, I was pretty much useless. Hence, this chapter. It's shorter than the other chapters and a bit on the simple side, but I honestly think it's as good as it's going to get. If you disagree, please let me know.

Also, thank you to those who answered my question at the end of the last chapter. I just want to make it clear that I wasn't calling anyone out for describing my writing as "wordy" or "simple." It was just interesting to me that people could read the same thing and come away with two different opinions. But, that's the way things work, right? Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Thank you for sticking with me thus far. I know I said before that there was only one more chapter (a chapter ago), but the plot changed a bit, and so here we are. The last chapter is next, and an epilogue will follow, but this is it. Almost done!

Please read and review, if you please. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

DISCLAIMER: Not mine, just my OCs.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Marie Hammond had never considered herself afraid of enclosed spaces, but as she glanced around the strange room in Earl Phantomhive's basement, she felt a sudden uncomfortable constricting in her chest. Instinctively, her hand reached for Thomas, and he wrapped his fingers around hers without a word.

Light fixtures lined the walls, the electricity bright but still dim against the dark wood paneling. The only exit to the room, a heavy metal door hidden behind a hollow stone wall on the outside, had been shut and locked tight after they'd all been safely ushered inside.

It was a bizarre group of people sequestered together: the Earl, who had taken to brooding in a high wingback chair in one of the corners; his servants, minus Sebastian, who included the quiet but efficient house steward who had led them here, and a gardener, cook, and maid, the latter two unconscious; and of course, herself and her family.

A faint boom sounded, followed by a violent shaking of the entire manor, throwing them around. Marie fell into her husband's side, clutching at him as she tried to steady herself. She glanced over to check on her parents, and found they were huddled together on the floor.

"Is everyone alright?" Lord Phantomhive asked, once the shaking had stopped.

A quick glance around the room found everyone present in a disheveled state. Except for a few pieces of furniture and a handful of fallen knick knacks, the rest of the room remain intact and undisturbed.

Rebecca was suddenly at her mother's side, her identical eyes round with worry and fear. "Mama, what's happening?" she whispered, fearfully. Her small, slender hands clutched her mother's, her grip tight with fear.

Marie gently smoothed the hair away from her daughter's face and patted her cheek. "Shh, my darling," she cooed, softly. "You worry too much."

The young girl shook her head, her eyes beginning to water. "But, Sebastian and Ness are still out there," she protested. "How can you not worry, Mama?"

Thomas wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pressed her into his side. "And, you can take comfort in that fact, love," he told her. "If Ness is out there, you know Sebastian is right by her side."

"Your father is correct," Ciel cut in, and the trio turned, gasping when they found the earl standing beside their small group. He shot them a small smile before adding, "Forgive my intrusion, but I couldn't help but hear."