Memories

Where am I?

It was the first thought that popped into Vanessa's mind the moment she opened her eyes and found herself in darkness. It surrounded her on all sides, palpable and thick, pressing in on her, making her feel claustrophobic. In every direction she turned, she could see nothing but black, stretching on and on.

She raised her hand to her face and became alarmed when she could not see it, nor its faint outline.

The panic rose in her chest as her hand dropped to her side. "Hello?" she called, a bit desperately; she was surprised when there was no echo cutting through the stillness. What is this place? she thought, the silence beginning to ring in her ears .

"Hello?" She raised her voice just a bit, but again there was no answer.

She waited a moment then glanced down to what she assumed would be the ground. The darkness seemed to stretch downwards, too, and she could feel her panic growing when she realized she couldn't see her feet.

"Do not be frightened," a voice said, as if reading her thoughts.

Vanessa jumped, startled by the sudden sound. That voice, she thought, feeling her forehead crease. It sounds familiar! Like-

"Sebastian?" she called, turning one way, then another; darkness greeted her at every turn. "Sebastian!" she called again, struggling to keep the panic out of her voice. "Sebastian, where are you?"

He chuckled. "I'm right here, love," he said, suddenly materializing beside her.

She yelped in surprise, jumping away from him, despite her frantic urge to cling onto his arm for comfort. Against the darkness, he seemed to have a dim halo of light surrounding him, but it did nothing to ease her anxiety. "Where are we?" she asked, timidly.

"I don't exactly know," he answered, honestly. "I've never done this before, you see."

His words made her pause. "Done what?" she asked, warily.

"Made someone remember," came the answer.

She frowned, confused at his answer. "Remember what?" she asked, bewildered.

He stepped forward, and for once, she didn't shy away. A gloved hand reached up to caress her cheek. "Us," he whispered.

"Us?" she repeated. This time, she did step away from his touch and stared at him. "I don't understand, Sebastian," she said, shaking her head.

He held his hand out to her, a soft smile gracing his face. "Well, let's see if we can make you understand, shall we?" he suggested.

She hesitated for a moment, before placing her hand in his. He laced their fingers together and tugged her closer to his side before leading her away.

"Where are we going?" she asked, her first instinct to tug her hand away, but her body refused. This feels familiar, she thought, glancing down at their hands. The sight of their fingers woven together made her heart leap. It looks so....right, she thought, wonderingly.

He continued to walk, their hands slightly swinging in between them. "For a walk," he answered, smiling.

"To where?" she asked, still confused.

He merely shrugged.

After awhile, the darkness began to lighten, turning a dark purple, then eventually a calming lilac spotted with a few twinkling stars. The ground slowly appeared, turning into a white cobblestone path, leading further into the lightened atmosphere. Grass began to materialize, followed by brightly colored flowers, and then tall and looming, majestic trees.