Prologue

I woke up to the sound of a phone ringing. I groggily sat up, looked at the alarm clock, that said 3:00 AM, and picked up my phone that was sitting next to my bed. Normally, my parents would get the phone, or maybe my brother, but I was home alone, because I didn't want to go to my uncle's house with the rest of the family. But they would've been on their way home at the time.

"Hello?" I mumbled into the phone.

"Hello, ma'am, is this Wynter Evans on the phone?" A lady's serious voice said.

"Yeah." Why was she calling at 3:00 in the morning? Was I in trouble?

"Okay, so, as you are probably aware, your parents and brother were driving home this morning. There was a drunk driver on the road, and there was a head on collision. Everyone involved died, including your family." She kept her tone even, as if she had said this and practised many times.

'What?! Is this a prank? Tell me this is just a prank! I swear, if I find out who is behind this-"

"Ms. Evans, this is no prank. The memorial service will be on December 13th, one month from today, and the burial service will also be later that day. Officials will be at your house shortly to go through the details of the rest of your underage years. That is all. Goodnight."

I dropped the phone, and fell backwards, letting the blankets and pillows comfort me. I couldn't think. I couldn't move.

They can't be dead. They're going to walk through that door any minute now, and tell me about how much fun Uncle Jerry's house was, and ask if anything bad happened while they were gone. I wouldn't tell them about this bad dream, I would just smile and say that everything was fine.

I heard a knock on my door, and sighed with relief, knowing my parents were home, and it really was just a dream. I ran down the stairs, and threw the door open.

But it wasn't my family.

It was this group of business-looking people, that were staring at me as if I was their new case to take on.

"Are you alright?" Someone asked, and soon everyone started repeating the same question, just phrased differently. I didn't answer at first, not sure what they were talking about. I mean, why wouldn't I be okay? But then I remembered. The officials will be at your house shortly.

"Wait...Wait, this is all real?! My family is actually dead?" I asked/shouted as my vision went blurry, and started to fade to black.