Chapter 5

NOT EDITED.

~Playlist for this chapter~
C

onfident - Justin Beiber ft. Chance The Rapper

For all my Hindi Listeners:
Choomantar - Mere Brother Ki Dulhan Movie.

****

"You are late."

When am I not?

I paste a huge smile on my face and enter her house enthusiastically, almost knocking over the old ivory vase kept at the entry. The vase was probably over hundred years old and was owned by Saraswati's great-grandfather.

The family sentiments her father had for this urn were dangerous.

"Puh-lease. I am on time." that earns me an eye roll from her.

"You are lucky dad's not home or else we would be dead by now. Sometimes I think he loves that old junk more than his kids."

It was my turn to eye roll now.

Saraswati Nair, a year younger than me is a petite, chubby girl with dusky Indian complexion. She has sharp facial features with dark eyebrows and long, thick eyelashes and full lips that she inherited from her mother's ancestors who had their roots from Southern India.

Although her mother named her after Saraswati, the goddess of learning, studies were the last thing on her to-do list in life. She lived in my neighboring building and I often spent my weekends with her by just lazing around and watching Netflix shows and movies.

"Ahana Beta. Do you want caffey?

Siddhi Aunty says in her deep voice laced with a heavy southern accent. She comes out of the kitchen while wiping her hands off the hand towel.

Siddhi Aunty is a principal in a government school. Saraswati has free reign in the house during the entire week as her mother and father are out of the house for their jobs while her brother has his early morning college.

However, during weekends, her house is chaotic and messy all around.

"Yes please, Aunty."

Her mother made the best filter coffee ever.

"Amma, did you see the TV remote?"

(Amma - Mother)

She was constantly rummaging in the drawer that was filled to the brim until the point where things were tumbling out of it.

What was a deodorant bottle doing there?

Saraswati is lazy. It was as clear as the daylight.

Her house was messy and all the stuff was strewn across the living room which made it seem like a tornado had hit her house. Her parents were too busy working during the week and spent their weekend relaxing back.

For a girl who was born and brought up in a clean freak family, I almost had a heart attack when I first stepped into her house but after a while, I felt home right here. Once in a blue moon, I accompany her in cleaning the entire house from nook to cranny.