00. Prolouge (Edited)

"Hey, Big Sister?"

"What is it, Elaine?"

"You'll never leave me, right?"

"Never. I promise."

~~~~~~~

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

The near-silent sound of a young woman's footsteps, accompanied by the wind, broke the silence. Ashes drifted around the woman, stirred up by her steps. Her surroundings were a burnt, dead forest.

"What happened here?" She murmured, glancing around. The fingers of her left hand were curled around the staff of a large scythe that hung off her back from a cross-body strap. This woman was Rayn, the Panther's Sin of Deception and Death. Rayn was also the leader of her race, the Skin-Walkers.

Rayn wandered through the decimated forest until she came across the central tree, which was just as charred and broken as the rest of the forest. Her eyes widened and a small gasp escaped her parted lips.

Rayn's feet left the ground, gravity no longer holding her in place. She ascended to the top of the tree, where it leveled out into a sort of clearing. Blood covered the ground. Rayn's sandals softly touched the floor, then, quite suddenly, she dropped to her knees, her head hung low.

"Why? Why did it have to be this way?! Why couldn't I have been here?!" She cried, tears streaming from her bronze-coloured eyes. Her messy, two-toned hair blew in the breeze.

"Oh, Elaine. I'm so sorry. I failed. I broke my promise. Please, forgive me....."

Everything in the forest froze, perhaps even time itself.

"I've deceived you."