Chapter 1

So, this is the first story that I've ever completed. Like...actual story. So this should be interesting. Shout outs and dedication to my friend Ashley for helping to inspire this story and all my friends that helped it come together. Let's see how this goes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened the door to my loft and immediately felt a small pang of sadness ring through me. I had recently just spent two weeks on vacation in my parent's old country house, and it was the most relaxing two weeks of my life. Looking at the concrete floor of my apartment as opposed to the beautiful wood of the country house just didn't set right.

I loved my loft; it was inexpensive in part due to my job. That didn't mean I loved it more than the country air. The first thing I did was kick off my shoes and set them in the shoe rack. The second thing I did was immediately start to open my mail. I was the Chief Financial Officer, otherwise known as CFO, for the most well-known hotel in the world. The Midas Hotel.

The job description came with a lot of stress and tons of constant mail, e-mails, and text messages. I was fortunate enough to have taken the break that I did, but it was back to work immediately. I sorted through the letters. There wasn't much of anything; bills I neglected while I was away, postcards from my travelling sister, and an unmarked letter. Strange. I rotated the unmarked letter and slipped my fingernail underneath the lip. I tore the top open and pulled out a simple piece of paper.

"Miss Simmons

It's time you get placed where you truly belong. 6 feet under. "

The letter ended like that. Apprehension waved over me as I stared at the words. They were pasted on from other newspaper and magazine articles. I couldn't even imagine who would write this, whether it be as a joke or not. Suddenly, there was a banging on my door. I jumped out of my skin and stumbled backward onto the floor.

BANG BANG BANG!

The pounding didn't cease for an entire minute. I was so terrified that I called the first person on my speed dial list, without thought. "King? Are you busy?" I whispered quietly into my phone.

"Simmons? I have a lunch date with a stockholder in an hour. What do you want?" My boss replied back. I hated that I had called the CEO of the company, my boss. I didn't exactly have any friends. In fact, my entire speed dial list consisted of King, King's Secretary, and my sister. A very warm and inviting list.

I composed myself. "I...I just wanted to tell you I was back from-" my sentence was cut off by another series of pounds on my door. I felt my heart stop as nervous tears swelled up in my eyes. I didn't want to rely on the CEO for anything. However, after the threatening mail and now the door, I couldn't help but need someone. There was a reason I felt on edge.

"What's that noise?" My boss asked.

"There's someone pounding on my door Theodore. I'm terrified," I spoke softly, trying not to make any noise. I never used King's first name. Our relationship was...strained to say the least. It was a long story that I tried to push out of my mind whenever I was forced to look at him.

"I'll be right there," he said shortly. The line ended abruptly. He had a thing about not saying goodbye. Jerk. I sat my phone down next to me and waited fearfully for King to show up. The pounding had stopped, but not thirty seconds later had it started up again. I was terrified, and I was about to lose my mind. It would last for a minute, stop for thirty seconds, and then start again. I didn't know if it was even possible, but it seemed to get louder and louder each time.

"Grace?!" I heard a familiar voice call from the other side of the door. I hadn't realized, but at some point King must've showed up. I ran to the door and swung it open to reveal the CEO of Midas Hotel at my door. Any normal girl would've gone wild. Theodore King had the bluest eyes a girl ever did see. They turned down at the corner, so he forever gave off the illusion of a cute puppy. His brown hair was short and pushed back on his head. His Cupid's bow shaped lips had that perfect pink color that normal girls needed lipstick to achieve.