Chapter 2. The hell begins (revised)

This chapter is a shared dedication to both my mother for her strength and perserverance to get me to finish something I had started and put on the back burners.

{{{{ Many hugs and Supreme Thanks to Soumii the most wonderful artist, who made this wonderful book cover for me!!}}}}  I totally love it Soumii, and for you readers, even though you are few and still shy about commenting, Thank you so very much for your support also.

Chapter 2 The hell begins

Katti took off running up three flights of stairs to her grandmothers room to see them putting a C-Pap machine on her grandmother, she hadn't stopped breathing her Great aunt told her, she was just struggling very hard to breathe. Katti ran into her grandmothers room and held her hand and started talking quietly to her telling her she needed to relax and not fight the machine, it would help her. Katti was just about to the end of her rope when her grandmother opened up those blue-green eyes that she loved so much and patted her hand, and then struggled to tell her to, "stop running so much, maybe you could ask your mother to come visit?" thru that cup over her mouth. Katti burst out laughing, then said to her grandmother " You just worry about taking nice slow breaths, I have to get my exercise somehow!" "Please don't fight the mask, let it help you, but Gramma I need to go back down stairs, Mom isn't feeling well and I have her downstairs getting looked at. Nothing for you to worry about yet, I will let you know if you need to worry." Katti was puzzled and concerned, did her Grandmother really not remember that she had told her earlier that mother was downstairs or is she pulling clues out of me asking me that way?

Katti walked back out of the room hugged her great aunt Beth and said "Thanks for being here while I am downstairs with mom. Please don't let Dee or anyone else tell Gramma how bad it is, I think they are going to intubate her soon, the tests are bad." Beth hugged her back and said " I have this floor right now, you take care of your mom and let me know what I can do. I love you, Katti. That Delilah was telling Reba just how bad your mom is when she started struggling for breath. I don't know what that girl is thinking half the time! " Aunt Beth was actually her grandmothers late husbands baby sister. Katti was completely amazed at her, she looked younger than her mother and was only 7 years younger than her grandmother and the woman still drives!

Katti headed back to the stairs and a nurse pointing at her talking about her running in the hospital and how rude that is, the older nurse with her told her to "hush.. that child is about to be planning a double funeral. She got her gramma bout to die on her here on this floor and they say her momma is just 'aknocking on the gates of heaven in the ER. So you just hush and leave her be!" Katti just stumbled, didn't they realize I can hear them she wondered.

Still reeling from the nurses conversation Katti got back downstairs to check on her mom and ran into a furious brother and sister in law. Blake immediately took the lead and said "How could you give them permission for life support?" "You know she had said no life support!" Katti blinked and said, "What?" "Sorry but I am not following you." Blake yelled at her, "The doctor put tubes in her to breathe for her, that is life support! What were you thinking when you told him yes?" Blake was vibrating all six foot three of him was ready to explode he was so angry. Katti blinked away some tears looked at her brother and said very shakily, "I am sorry, but he didn't ask me. I will go see what is going on." Blake just glared at her then said, "yeah you do that and then tell them to take it out." Dee was clutching Blakes arm and then spoke her two cents, " I told you we should have taken over, she has no clue what she is doing."

A nurse went to get the doctor for Katti so she could find out for herself what was happening. A very grisled, wiry looking man came in the room and addressed Katti, “I am Dr. Rimal are you the daughter of Mrs. Davidson?” Katti acknowledged she was and then asked him what the thought process was and was the intubation really a violation of her mothers DNR orders. The doctor replied to her taking her by the arm and saying "Katti let's go sit over here and I will explain." They walked to a lounge and the doctor dropped her hand and reached into the small refrigerator pulling out a soda and told her to drink it. "We don't want you failing next dear. Now, to answer your questions, No, I didn't violate the do not resuscitate order. That only applies after death, I have intubated her only to lessen the load on her heart and her lungs. She has not passed away, she is not dead and being kept alive. She has left no orders saying not to treat her living body, only not to treat her dead body." The doctor watched Katti closely to see if she was taking all this in. Katti looked back at the soda, then at the doctor and then said " Well she has MS and COPD so you can guarantee me we are not violating anything on her orders?" The doctor smiled and patted her hand saying, "No, Katti we have not violated anything at all we are treating our patient and if you hadn't been so quick to get her here, then we wouldn't have a patient to treat. You saved your mothers life. Now, do you need me to talk to your brother and explain to him?" Katti thought for a second and said, "You can try, but don't stand really close to him while you do it. He has a bit of a temper." With that she said her thank yous and left the soda and the lounge.