Chapter 7. Black eyes and blue tears

“Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer wiener, then everyone would be in love with me” hummed Katti as she was waking up from the surgery.

“Well, I would say that someone is waking up. Katti? Ma'am can you hear me?” the voice was quiet and reassuring to Katti as she started to come out of the fog. The recovery nurse spoke to her again. “Come on Katti open up your eyes. I need you to focus a bit.”

“Unh. Um what?” mumbled Katti. She had apparently been dreaming or remembering things from her childhood as she came back to consciousness. “Just a few more minutes? Please? Then I'll get up, I promise.” Katti really didn't want to wake up.

“Hmm, your going to play tough with me? OK, Katti come on open up your eyes. Just for a few minutes then we will move you up to your room. I have to say, I haven't thought about that jingle in a while and is a new one on me. Katti come on and let me look in those eyes.” The nurse said the last command a little more forcefully.

“My mouth hurts. Your mean, I just want a few more minutes.” Katti griped at the nurses.

“Katti, I will get you something for the pain in just a minute, but first I need to look in your eyes.” The nurse told her as she was refastening the leads to the pressure cuff and pulse monitor.

Katti groaned again and tried to turn her head and said “ Fine, okay already. Here look.” She opened her eyes and looked around at the unfamiliar surroundings. For just a moment, she was confused then everything that had happened came rushing back to her. She raised her right hand up and touched the bandaging up on her face. “ Ow. Sorry if I was rude. Please forgive me if I said anything ugly.” Katti was beginning to wonder what all she might have said. She hadn't been in the best of moods when the sedatives had knocked her out and she had been rather upset with that ER nurse earlier.

The recovery nurse told her “Nope, nothing to apologize for other than maybe getting that jingle stuck in my head, now I am craving hot dogs. Other than that now that I have had a nice look in your eyes and they are looking nice and clear and you seem to be focusing pretty well if you can pass the tracking test, we will take you up to your room. The doctor said you did really well.”

The nurse was shining a pen light in her eyes and she was watching closely as Katti's eyes tracked the light. She reached over and put a hand on Katti to remind her to stay still when she noticed Katti move a bit in preparation to trying to sit up. “Whoa, there. You should just lie there, don’t try to get up. Remember don't try to use your left arm for a while. You have a sling on it to keep it close to you for the next couple of days. They said that was a really bad dislocation. From what I here, you had a rough day.” The nurse said sympathetically.

“Wow, does anyone here not know about what happened to me?” Katti grumbled.

“Well, let me think. Probably no one on staff. Not very many people stand up to surgeons without staff hearing about it. Job well done, might I say. From what I hear you were very lucky to be here and still alive.” The nurse said looking her straight in the eyes. “Please understand that there is no judgment from me, I admire you for standing your ground. Not everyone is as lucky in this situation as you were.” The nurse cleared her throat and then spoke again. “Now that we have you awake, let's get you to your room so you can get a little sleep.”

Katti had tears in her eyes and nodded her head and said “Thank you for everything.”

Katti made it to her room and went through the patient history rounds all over again and the vitals and had just gone to sleep when the next nurse came in to check her vitals again. No sooner had she dropped back off to sleep another nurse came in. “ Seriously? I just want to sleep.” she grumbled to herself and the gremlins beating the tom-toms in her head. The nurse looked her over made her notes in the chart and asked Katti if she felt up to walking to the restroom.