Nearest of Kin (Prologue)

John woke up to the small droplets of water dropping onto his head from a leaking roof.

'Strange...' He thought, 'I could have sworn I fixed it yesterday...'

With a heavy sigh, he got up, looking for a candle to light the cold, damp room. He found a candle, lighted it, and set it next to his bed. John wasn't the wealthiest of farmers, but at least he could afford a burlap bed, which he filled with dirt. John walked around his house looking for some materials to fix the roof, when suddenly he heard the sound of horses approaching his house. Trumpets sounded, the official call of the royal guard.

"Oh, no!" He shouted, grabbing around frantically for his candle. He grabbed hold of the candle and nervously walked to the door. He reached towards the door and pulled out the huge log locking the door, then he gently opened the door. The sound of trumpets blasted his ears and stunned him for a while. After a few seconds of forgetting where he was and what he was doing, he looked up to see an annoyed man wearing full armor and riding the most heavily armored horse he has ever seen.

"Hear ye, hear ye!" The man shouted rather loudly, "His Highness our King and rightful ruler of Conneister, King Steven III, has called some of you in this village to arms. There has been a dispute between our king and his brother the king of Lancasse. War is where men prove their cause. Prove ours. Prove you have allegiance with your king and protect his honor. To war, men!" The man looked expectantly at the crowd, waiting for them to cheer.

"Cheer, damn you!" A loud yet fake cheer was heard from the peasants. The man turned around."All men of twelve years and above line up." The men and children did as they were told."The following will be called into the army. You yourself will pay for your own horse and shield, and we will supply weapons and armor." The crowd of women and children under twelve looked worriedly at the men. Women cried at the possibility of losing their husbands. The man, Adam the general of the royal army, opened his scroll and read aloud the list.

"Charles Widsmeinster"

"NO!" a cry was heard from what appeared to be Charles' wife. "NO! DON'T TAKE HIM! HE'S ALL I HAVE LEFT!" Loud sobs were heard as the guards restrained the woman from getting too close to the line of men. The general read every name on the scroll and every time was met with the same response. Women and children crying, and guards having to hold back crying, enraged wives and mothers. As the general finished up, John gave a sigh of relief and a quick prayer for those who were drafted.

"It appears that Henry Leinster has been missing for some time. Alright men, we will decide now who will replace him. Preferably someone poor, and with no life to begin with. How about you, sir?" The guard pointed at John.

"What? No. I refuse."

"Then you would much rather prefer an axe to your head?" Asked the guard.

John gave no anwer.

"That's what I thought."

"And if I should die?"

"Your property will be given to your nearest of kin, and if nobody turns up, your property will belong to the king."