Part 33

The sky was gray and forlorn over the next few days. February was slowly moving along with its usual cold and damp weather. So the students of Olympia High preferred to stay inside. Andie and Bane were by her locker, talking about a movie they'd watched together that weekend when Bane paused, eying the wall opposite him with an unreadable expression.

"And I thought... Bane?"

Andie looked at him and noticed he wasn't listening to her anymore. She frowned slightly, and saw the notice he was looking at.

Our fellow students,

For personal reasons, Chad Harrington will no longer be playing the lead in this year's end of year production. Fortunately, new student Eric Donovan has graciously agreed to step in for him. To all other cast members, please be reminded that the rehearsals will continue as planned. Thank you.

Drama club.

Andie clapped her hand to her mouth as she realized that she'd never told Bane about Eric being cast for the play.

"I... I'm sorry, I meant to tell you, Bane... I just never... I'm sorry..."

"It's fine," he said. "It's just a play."

Andie, not wanting there to be any misunderstandings, hesitated, then said:

"Bane... you do know he's playing my character's love interest... don't you?"

"Yeah, I do," he said. "But like I said, it's just a play."

Andie was certain he was more tense than was natural, but was carefully hiding it. Rather than pushing and risking them fighting, she forced a smile and said:

"I'm glad you see it that way."

She kissed the corner of his lips. Just then, a sharp clicking sound made them look around. When they did, Andie sighed.

"Oh, joy..." she groaned.

"Uh oh, she looks pretty mad about something..." Bane commented.

"When does she ever not look mad?" Andie asked.

"She" was actually Vicki Chase, marching angrily towards them. Or rather, towards Andie. When she'd reached them, she stopped and glared at Andie.

"Bet you're really proud of yourself, aren't you?" she demanded.

"Morning Vicki, nice to see you too," Andie said, forcing a smile.

"Oh, cut the crap." Vicki snapped.

Andie sighed and said:

"And what am I so proud of, exactly?"

"Getting Judy and the others to pick your buddy over Chad!"

"Chad left, Vicki," Andie retorted. "And I didn't ask for Eric to take his place. He was there, he can sing, they picked him because they didn't want to waste time holding new auditions."

"Yeah, right. Chad was doing fine!"

"He complained about everything!" Andie retorted. "It was impossible to work with him. You're just annoyed because your boyfriend isn't in the play anymore and my friend is, and that Eric's not as self-centered."

Vicki snorted, her arms folded indignantly.

"I bet Eric got into your pants and you planned it all-"

SLAP! Andie had flew through the air and struck Vicki's cheek.

"Don't you dare." she said quietly. "I'm with Bane, and we're staying that way. You will not get in between us. And if you insist upon trying, then bring it on."