Part 12

Later, Andie drove over to Bane's, who'd left earlier to set everything up with his uncle. They had gotten over their little disagreement, but still it bothered her. For one thing, they had never had a conversation like that since they had been together. Of course, every couple had arguments, but she had hoped theirs would take a little longer to come. And for another thing, the root of the problem was the fight. It was the subject of the fight. Because Eric was still there, and Bane would still be jealous of him. Which was pointless, in Andie's opinion, because Eric was only a good friend. She pulled up near his house, where she recognized Jessica's and Emily's cars. She climbed out and went up towards the house. It was still the exact same as it had been every time Andie had seen it, with its unkempt grass, white fence, messy garage and small but sturdy house. Bane must have seen her coming, because he opened the door as she arrived. They smiled at each other, Andie feeling her heart thump faster as it always did when she looked at Bane and his mesmerizing blue eyes.

"Hi," he said as she stepped towards him.

"Hey," she answered.

They kissed, and he let her in. The house had been decorated with purple and gold. Jessica, Emily and Isabelle were sitting on the couch, talking amongst themselves. Andie was just saying hello to them when the doorbell rang. Andie and Bane glanced at each other, both knowing who that was going to be.

"D'you want me to..."

"No, it's okay," Bane said, touching her face softly. "I'll get it. And I promise I'll behave. But I won't promise not to fight back if he attacks. Agreed?"

Andie sighed. But, not wanting another fight, said:

"Agreed. But verbal only. I don't want any fists involved. From either of you. Agreed?"

"... Agreed," he said, she thought, a little reluctantly.

Moments later, Eric and Bane came back into view, not speaking, but neither looking daggers at the other. Though Andie couldn't deny the slight tension between them.

From then on, Andie worked to keep the atmosphere cheerful. Thankfully, the girls, who seemed to have caught onto her idea, helped a lot. Isabelle made conversation with Eric, so he would feel included, while also preventing Andie from being forced to. Emily and Jessica were their usual crazy but lovable selves, making jokes and making everyone laugh so hard they had to hold their stomachs. Andie was pleased to see that despite Eric's presence, Bane was positively glowing. She smiled. He deserved this, and she hated that it had been so long since he'd had it. He had never gone into much detail about his life before they'd met, but she could tell it had been far from easy. Especially when she compared it to her life. Easy, comfortable, not knowing her true nature... and he'd been through hard years of training, solitude, and tension. It saddened her.

"So, how late am I?"

Andie looked round at Eric. She hadn't even noticed he'd sat next to her. Bane, who was talking to Isabelle, hadn't seen him.

"What?" Andie asked, not following.

"How long has your heart been taken?"

Andie stared at him. Was he joking or really asking? When they'd been ten, she'd known him like the back of her hand but... now... she barely recognized him. He'd grown, gotten more confident, outgrown his boyish chubbiness...

"A little while," she said evasively. "And I don't want you asking that kind of thing in front of Bane," she added.

"Why?" Eric asked.

"He's already suspicious. And I don't want to hurt him pointlessly."

"Suspicious?" he repeated incredulously, "Of what? We're not doing anything!"