Part 57

The next day, Jessica and Andie were talking by her locker about an upcoming history test. Jessica was complaining about the teacher, like she often did.

"He was a little harsh..."

"I know, he was borderline rude!" Jessica said.

"Jess, that's not what I meant..." Andie replied a little wearily.

But Jessica didn't even notice or listen.

"I mean, we have like ten other classes, how does he expect us to spend an hour a day studying algebra?"

She then spotted something that made her annoyance turn to cold anger. Andie glanced at her in confusion.

"Jess?" she asked. "What's wrong?"

She looked around and saw what Jessica was looking at. Bane stood by his locker, looking in their direction. He and Andie shared a long glance. Andie was torn between resenting him for lying and the gratitude for saving Hannah. Plus, she was in love with him, that couldn't just disappear...

"What do we do, ignore him?" Jessica asked when Bane began to come towards them.

"Jess..."

"Fine... Then I'm staying."

"Jess, it's Bane," Andie reminded.

"I know, that's what worries me."

Andie rolled her eyes, and a flicker of irritation coursed through her.

"Jessica, it'll be fine. Go."

Bane paused, then, seeming to catch onto their argument.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'll see you later," Andie said, her tone closing the discussion.

"Okay, then." Jessica said, casting a cold look at Bane before walking off.

"She still hates me?" Bane asked, stopping in front of Andie.

"She doesn't hate you." Andie said, closing her locker without looking at Bane. "She hates feeling betrayed. That's all."

She meant to walk away too, but he caught her arm.

"Can we talk about this?" he asked.

Andie paused. She couldn't freeze him out forever... it was unfair, and she didn't have the strength to, anyway.

"Bane... I told you I understood your choices.. but... I trusted you. I... need to know if I can learn to again."

Bane's blue eyes glinted with pain, and the sight sent tears to Andie's eyes.

"... Would it help if I said I'm sorry...?" he asked, sounding desperate.

Andie looked into his pained eyes, a part of her deeply wanting to say yes, but knowing it wouldn't be true.

"... I don't know." she finally whispered.

Bane looked away a moment, trying to decide what to respond.

"Is there anything I can say...? Or do...?" he asked quietly.

Andie pondered several minutes.

"... Just give me some time..." she said. "I'm still digesting what happened."

She turned away and meant to leave, when Bane caught her arm again.

"Wait..."

"Bane..." Andie began.