𝐱𝐱𝐢. WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

˖*°࿐chapter twenty one

˖chapter twenty one.
xxi. WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS

———

Tonight was Jo and Elena's turn to watch Janelle. They weren't supposed to be at the lake house, but her brothers weren't available. Well, Damon was, but Elena insisted on trying to get on Janelle's good side. Even though it wasn't entirely her fault for what her baby has done. As for Stefan, he wasn't exactly comfortable being around his sister after what happened the previous night.

He still loves Janelle, obviously — he just wanted to give her the space she needed.

Jo picked up a plate of fruit she made off the counter and turned to Elena. "Okay, I'm gonna bring this to Janelle, you stay here. I don't want you provoking her baby."

Elena scoffed, "Provoking her? Like it's my fault."

Jo waved her off. "Oh, you know what I mean." She walked into the living room to where she saw Janelle on the couch with headphones against her stomach. "What are you doing?"

"Shh!" Janelle hushed her as she opened her eyes. "I'm playing Mozart for the baby to bring out her peaceful nature. Studies show that babies can hear and remember songs from the womb."

"Hm, that's lovely." Jo sat down next her, placing the plate on the coffee table in front of them. "How about you eat something since you haven't had anything to eat all day."

Janelle cringed at the sight, "I've been nauseous all day."

"You've been a little fresh all day," Jo retorted.

She picked up a slice of watermelon and without either of them realizing it, the piece of fruit turned into raw meat. "I'm thinking about trying acupuncture. I hear that helps." Janelle brought, what she thought was watermelon, towards her mouth.

She was about to take a bite until Jo gasped, grabbing Janelle's wrist. "Janelle, don't."

She dropped the meat onto the plate, completely disgusted now. "Aw, I'm gonna puke."

"Maybe your baby would prefer to listen to Ozzy," Jo commented.

"My life's a mess," Janelle whimpered, hiding her face in a pillow.

Janelle felt hopeless.

Within a matter of five days, her child was able to completely take over her life and she wasn't even born yet. Pregnancy was supposed to be something Janelle was going to enjoy, but now she was completely drained. There really wasn't anything that could have possibly made this experience worse for her.

"Jo, your phone is —" Before Elena even got the chance to finish her sentence she yelped as Janelle abruptly stood up and threw fire at her.

Never mind.