Marked

"Sometimes the ugliest things took the longest time to make," the girl sang from where she sat in the shade of a tree with her notebook and phone. "Sometimes the easiest habits are the hardest ones to break."

Her rich alto tone had caught the attention of a nearby biker who now crouched in a bush a few yards away, watching the girl in wonder as she reached for her phone and rewound the song to sing the lyrics again.

Her complexion seemed to change before his very eyes, shimmering like she wasn't really there. Her long platinum blond curly hair changing to a black short business cut with bangs that were longer than the back with red highlights that crossed over her eye. Her tan skin changed to pale, and her pink glossy lips changed to a dull black. The light bronze eyeshadow changed to black. Her pretty sky blue sundress changed to a black miniskirt and a black tank top that laced up in the front and back with a chain at the shoulder that fell down to her midsection.

The darker outfit showed off her hourglass figure and the biker- Jayden- could not keep his eyes from wandering. His eyes traveled back to her face as she started a new line.

"There's nothing every wrong, but nothing's ever right. Such a cruel contradiction."

"I know I crossed the line, not easy to define. I'm born to indecision," the lyrics slipped from Jayden's mouth before he could stop them.

The girls head whipped around to me. "Who's there?" she asked.

Jayden planned on staying quiet since she had not seen him, but she began to get up. As she got to her feet, her complexion finally took one form- the one of the dark, gothic girl. This time, she also had dark red horns. She cautiously crept over.

Before she could find him herself, Jayden stood up and said, "I'm sorry if I scared you. Shinedown, right?"

"Yeah," the girl said as her complexion changed back to the sweet girl in the blue dress. "How did you know?"

"I have a friend who loves them. I've heard that song many times, but can't place the name."

"Burning bright," the girl said flashing me a smile. What are you doing in this part of the park?" Her eyes changed from a bright blue to a fiery red.

"I was just biking by," Jayden said, taking a step back further.

"You do not belong in these parts," the girl said with a ring of authority.

"What do you mean?" Jayden asked, utterly confused and slightly scared.

Two boys appeared at the girls side, all were shimmering between complexions like the girl. The first boy to her right was about six feet taller- half a foot taller than Jayden- with blond curly hair that changed to black long hair that fell over one of his eyes. His wide smile changed into a frown. His perfectly unmarked skin changed to show bruises and cuts. His brightly colored plaid shorts changed to long black jeans, and his purple T-shirt changed to a long sleeved black shirt with a large white skull.